This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These sweet and sticky honey garlic chicken wings are happiness in every bite. Even though they're baked, not fried, they're super crispy. They make the perfect party appetizer or even an easy dinner recipe.
Chicken wings are one of those things that are simply delicious. You know a good time is unfolding when there are chicken wings on the table. And now with this honey garlic chicken wing recipe, you can make them (just as good as the restaurants) in your own home!
For the chicken wings:
- Chicken wings: The main ingredient for this dish, you'll need 2 lb. You can use either wings, drummets, or a mix!
- Sesame oil: You'll toss the chicken wings in sesame oil before putting them in the oven to help them crisp up and give them great flavor.
- Sea salt and black pepper: Use 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper to season the chicken wings.
- Cilantro and sesame seeds: these are optional to serve, but adding a garnish like cilantro and sesame seeds will definitely make this dish feel restaurant-quality!
For the glaze:
- Honey: Sticky, sweet, and really just wonderful. At ⅓ of a cup, this will form the base of your glaze.
- Soy sauce: This will add a rich, salty flavor to the glaze. You can use low-sodium soy sauce or tamari as alternatives.
- Ginger and garlic cloves: BFFs in the kitchen, ginger and garlic add some warmth and zing. Use finely grated ginger and finely minced garlic for this recipe.
- Sesame oil: This nutty flavor will balance some of the sweetness.
- Chili flakes: This will provide heat, but if you don't have any at home you can substitute with red pepper flakes. Start by adding a pinch and adjust to your liking.
How to make honey garlic chicken wings
- Prepare: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Put the chicken wings in a bowl and toss them with sesame oil, sea salt, and pepper.
- Bake the chicken wings: Pop the chicken wings onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving space between them. Bake them for 35-40 minutes, or until they are crispy.
- Make the glaze: Add all the glaze ingredients to a small pot over medium-high heat. Boil for 3-4 minutes, or until the glaze has reduced to ⅓ cup.
- Coat the chicken wings: Once the chicken wings are crispy remove them from the oven and toss them with the glaze.
Expert tips to get crispy baked chicken wings
- Turn the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. You want it hot, but not so hot it will burn the wings.
- Use parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. This is super important as it prevents the wings from sticking to the pan. Stuck on wings means you leave the crispiness on the pan (sad face).
- Coat them with oil. While the skin is full of fat, fat renders fat. You need the fat in the skin to ‘melt' so that the skin turns crispy, so definitely don't skip the oil.
- Keep these in the oven until they're nice and crispy. Don't worry about overcooking the chicken, it will be amazing.
What to serve with honey garlic chicken wings
Oh boy, serving honey garlic chicken wings at any gathering is sure to gather a chorus of sounds of joy and delight. If you're wondering what goes well with these honey garlic chicken wings, here are some options that will shine alongside your sticky-sweet dish:
Should I sauce the wings before or after baking?
For this recipe, you'll sauce them after you bake the chicken wings. Once they're nice and crispy, adding the sticky glaze will create that “finger-licking good” phenomenon.
What is honey garlic sauce made of?
The glaze for these chicken wings uses honey as the base for a sticky sweetness and adds 2 cloves of garlic to create that incredible honey-garlic combo. It also uses ginger, soy sauce, and sesame oil for an Asian-inspired taste. It's based on our popular honey garlic sauce!
How else can you cook chicken wings?
Besides baking them, you can grill them (try our grilled chicken wings) or you can air fry them.
- 2 lb chicken wings
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Cilantro and sesame seeds (to serve)
- ⅓ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- 2 large garlic cloves (very finely minced)
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the chicken wings in a large bowl and toss them with sesame oil, sea salt, and pepper.2 lb chicken wings, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, 1 teaspoon sea salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Transfer the chicken wings to the prepared baking sheet, making sure there is space between them. Bake them for 35-40 minutes, or until they are crispy.
- While the chicken wings are baking, make the glaze. Add all the glaze ingredients to a small pot over medium-high heat. Boil rapidly for 3-4 minutes, or until the glaze has reduced to ⅓ cup. Remove the pot from the heat.⅓ cup honey, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger, 2 large garlic cloves, ½ teaspoon sesame oil, ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- Once the chicken wings are crispy remove them from the oven and toss them with the glaze. Sprinkle some cilantro and toasted sesame seeds over the top and serve immediately.Cilantro and sesame seeds
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.