This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These pub-style salt and pepper chicken wings are so simple, yet so delicious! We make them extra crispy by tossing them with a special ingredient. They're an easy-to-make crowd favorite for parties or game days, and they're ready in under an hour!
These crispy, golden, salt and pepper chicken wings are our go-to party appetizer, and they're finger-licking good! You only need a few kitchen staples to make them, and they're baked in the oven instead of deep-fried.
They're more of a pub-style chicken wing as opposed to Chinese salt and pepper chicken wings. They're perfect for people who don't love spicy wings, which means they're kid-friendly, too!
Baking powder is the secret ingredient we use to intensify their crispiness, so don't skip it. They're delicious alone or with a dipping sauce on the side. We never seem to make enough, so if you're serving a crowd, double or triple the batch!
Salt and pepper chicken wings ingredients
You only need five simple ingredients to make this delicious salt and pepper chicken wings recipe. Just wings, olive oil, baking powder, and a few seasonings.
Here's everything you need:
- Chicken wings – good quality chicken wings have a creamy white or yellow color. Any hints of flesh underneath the skin should be pink and look plump.
- Olive oil – you can also use vegetable oil like canola or avocado.
- Baking powder – baking powder is the secret ingredient to making these wings really crispy!
- Seasonings – we use a simple mix of sea salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
- Minced chives – minced chives are optional but they give these chicken wings a pop of color and a hint of aroma for serving. You can also use minced parsley or minced green onion if you prefer.
How to make salt and pepper chicken wings
It really doesn't get much easier than this pub-style salt and pepper wings recipe! Here's how to make it in just four simple steps:
- While your oven preheats, line a baking tray with parchment paper or foil and top it with a wire rack.
- Toss the chicken wings with olive oil, baking powder, sea salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
- Place them on the wire rack, making sure there is room between them so they get super crispy.
- Bake them until they're golden and then sprinkle with some minced chives for garnish. Dig in while they're hot!
What goes with salt and pepper chicken wings?
These salt and pepper chicken wings are the perfect snack or appetizer for parties, game days, or laid-back special occasions. Keep it simple by serving them alongside carrot and celery sticks or our easy chip dip. Or pair them with other favorite appetizers like our honey garlic meatballs, guacamole, deviled eggs with bacon, and chorizo stuffed mushrooms.
How long do leftover chicken wings keep?
Store any leftover chicken wings in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
How do I reheat leftover chicken wings?
To reheat leftovers, lay them on a baking sheet and warm them in a 350-degree Fahrenheit oven for 10-20 minutes until they're heated through.
Can I make them in an air fryer?
Yes! Follow the air fryer chicken wings instructions.
Can I use cornstarch instead of baking powder?
Cornstarch coats the chicken wings and does make them crispy – but not as crispy as baking powder. For ultimately crispy wings, use baking powder. If all you have on hand is cornstarch, then feel free to use that instead.
Can I use white pepper instead of black pepper?
Black and white pepper are different spices with different flavor profiles. Black peppercorns tend to be hotter while white peppercorns are earthier and generally milder. If you prefer the taste of white pepper, then go ahead and use it.
How can I make these wings spicy?
The best way to add some heat is to add cayenne powder or red chili powder to the wings before baking them. You can also add some minced jalapeño or serrano pepper before serving.
What kind of chicken wings should I use?
We love drumettes, so that's what you see in the pictures. Wingettes work just as well!
Do you have more salt and pepper recipes?
Yes! Be sure to try our salt and pepper fish!
- 2 lb chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons EACH: sea salt and black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Minced chives (for serving)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (for easy cleanup) and set a wire rack on top.
- Add the chicken wings to a large bowl and toss them with olive oil, baking powder, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.2 lb chicken wings, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 2 teaspoons EACH: sea salt and black pepper, 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Spread the chicken wings out on top of the wire rack making sure that none of the chicken wings are touching
- Bake until they're golden and crispy, about 45 minutes. (See notes) Serve the chicken wings with some minced chives over top.Minced chives
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.