This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This easy chip dip is truly the best. It's a fresh, delicious, and easy-to-make homemade elevated take on herb and garlic dip that rivals any store-bought variety and is worth every ounce of effort. If you love the irresistible combination of salty chips and a creamy, savory dip, this recipe will have you running (not walking) to the kitchen for more.
Everyone needs a go-to easy and versatile dip recipe. This one is creamy, tangy, fresh, and savory. And the best part? It's ready in minutes. Many store-bought dips also contain added ingredients and preservatives that aren't great for our health. Make a double batch of this DIY dip for a party, movie night, or just to have on-hand for a healthy midday snack with fresh raw veggies like cucumbers, bell peppers, carrots, and celery.
Ingredients for the best easy chip dip
This recipe uses just a few ingredients you're likely to have on hand. To make it, you'll need:
- Sour cream + mayonnaise – this gives the dip deliciously creamy.
- Lemon juice – helps to brighten the flavor.
- Garlic + onion powder – adds a wonderful savory flavor. To get a little fancier, use finely minced garlic clove and some minced chive.
- Parsley + dill – we use the dried version because we always have them on hand, but fresh is nice too!
- Salt + pepper – just a little helps to bring out the flavor of the other ingredients.
How to make chip dip
This quick and easy chip dip is the best and comes together in just 3 easy steps!
- Add all ingredients to a medium-sized bowl.
- Stir or whisk well to incorporate everything evenly.
- Cover and allow it to sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, then dig in!
The perfect make-ahead snack
This chip dip actually tastes better after letting it sit because the flavors have the chance to come together. The recipe instructions recommend letting it sit for at least 30 minutes before serving. If you're having a party or planning to enjoy it on movie night or by the pool, prepare it the day before. Just make sure it's stored in an air-tight container or a bowl covered tightly with wrap – we like to use these beeswax wraps.
Can I use yogurt instead of sour cream?
Yes! Yogurt will give the dip a more tangy flavor but a plain, thick yogurt works well in place of sour cream.
Can I use fresh garlic and herbs?
Yes! It will yield slightly different results but fresh garlic and herbs are delicious as well.
How long does chip dip keep?
It's can be stored in the fridge in an air-tight container or tightly covered with beeswax wrap (like this one) for 3-5 days.
How to serve chip dip
Whether it's for a special celebration, holiday, movie night, picnic, or just lounging by the pool, this chip dip is so versatile. Serving it alongside crunchy salty chips might be the classic combination but there are endless ways to enjoy this delicious fuss-free creamy dip:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise (can be light)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- ½ teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper
- Add the ingredients to a medium-sized bowl.1 cup sour cream, 1 cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon dried parsley, 1 teaspoon dried dill, ½ teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper
- Stir well then cover the bowl and place it into your fridge for 30 minutes. Note: you can enjoy it right away, but the flavor is better if you wait.
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.