Curried Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
Vegan Shepherd's Pie has tons of flavor thanks to curry spices and caramelized tomato paste. It's loaded with veggies, lentils, and chickpeas and topped with coconut mashed sweet potatoes. Whether you're looking for a vegan Easter dinner recipe or a healthy, family-friendly meal, this is casserole is as delicious as it gets!
Friends! We're going Meat Free Monday … on Tuesday! Becuase hey, when you've got a dish of curried veggies and lentils piled high with coconut mashed sweet potatoes staring at you in the face it's the right thing to do.
This delish Vegan Shepherd's Pie reminds me of sweet potato chili. It's loaded with lentils, and chickpeas, and veggies that are sauteed in chili-like spices. It's definitely a change from a traditional shepherd's pie, but it's a new and tasty change.
→ Sidebar → When I told my handsome man what I was making for dinner he asked me if it was real shepherd's pie. He clearly knows me too well! I'm not going to lie, he was disappointed it was a vegan version. (He's so hard done by.) Think I'll have to make the man a ‘real' version soon.
As sad as he was that I veganized a classic, that didn't stop him from going for seconds.
This recipe is really flexible in terms of how you can change it to suit your taste/ what you have on hand. Feel free to make substitutions.
♡ Don't like peas? Leave them out!
♡ Love corn? Throw some in!
♡ Ran out of chickpeas but have a can of white /black/ kidney beans? Use them!
♡ Not a big fan of sweet potatoes? Use regular spuds!
♡ Forgot to grab celery? Don't even worry about it!
See where I'm going with this? Chances are, you'll be able to make this without making a grocery store run. Let's give it up for flexible recipes that use pantry/ fridge staples.
If you make this Curried Vegan Shepherd's Pie make sure you snap a pic and tag #theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create!
Vegan Curried Shepard's Pie with Coconut Sweet Potato Topping
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- ½ cup dried brown lentils, or 1 cup cooked
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, about 2 medium, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup water
- A pinch of cayenne
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger, minced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 5 crimini mushrooms, diced
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon EACH: chili powder, cumin, and sea salt
- 5.5 ounce can tomato paste
- 19 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Add the lentils to a small pot and cover with a few inches of water. Bring the pot to a boil then reduce the heat, cover the pot, and let it simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until the lentils are soft. Drain any remaining liquid.½ cup dried brown lentils
- Add the sweet potatoes, coconut milk, water, and a pinch of cayenne to a pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until the sweet potatoes are soft. Mash the sweet potatoes with the leftover cooking liquid and salt to taste.1 lb sweet potatoes, 1 cup coconut milk, ½ cup water, A pinch of cayenne
- While the lentils and sweet potatoes are cooking, heat the coconut oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until transparent, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, carrots, celery, and mushrooms to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft and starting to brown, about 10 minutes.1 tablespoon coconut oil, 1 medium onion, 4 cloves garlic, 1 inch piece of ginger, 3 medium carrots, 2 stalks celery, 5 crimini mushrooms
- Add the garam masala, chili powder, cumin, and sea salt to the pan and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomato paste and let it caramelize for about 3 minutes, or until it has darkened slightly and is sweet smelling. Remove from the heat and stir in the chickpeas, peas, and cooked lentils.1 tablespoon garam masala, 1 teaspoon EACH: chili powder, cumin, and sea salt, 5.5 ounce can tomato paste, 19 ounce can chickpeas, 1 cup frozen peas
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Transfer the lentils to a casserole dish and top with the mashed coconut sweet potatoes. Bake the Vegan Shepherd's Pie for 20-25 minutes, or until hot and bubbling at the edges.