Healthy Vegan Green Bean Casserole
This Healthy Vegan Green Bean Casserole is the healthy fall side dish that you've been looking for! It's made with a cashew-based mushroom sauce that is super creamy and delicious. It tastes like it's made with cream and cheese, but it's 100% dairy-free.
Eek … guys, I'm so happy right now! See that dish full of green beans and mushrooms and creamy sauce? That is a VEGAN green bean casserole that is every bit as good as the one I grew up eating. Can't wipe the smile off my face.
I know it might seem like I get excited over the strangest things. It's true, I do. But when I can take some comfort food I grew up with and make it healthy, I can't help but get giddy.
It's not that I'm trying to be an impersonator. I'm not vegan. I eat dairy. I would eat a regular cheese and canned mushroom soup filled casserole if you put one in front of me. #NotGonnaLie
But, when I'm cooking at home, I want to eat things that not only taste good but make me feel good, too.
This Vegan Green Bean Casserole is made using the Magic Mushroom Sauce that I shared with you a few weeks ago. That magical sauce is made with cashews that make it rich and creamy without using any dairy. In this recipe, it replaces the traditional creepy (but tasty, I admit) cream of mushroom soup.
The result? A healthy green bean casserole that you can serve to your friends and family without them noticing anything is different. Win!
So what are you guys up to for Easter? Do you do the traditional big turkey dinner? With stuffing? And mashed potatoes? And (this) vegan green bean casserole?
Most years, I forget all about Easter until I get invited to dinner. It always sneaks up so fast after Thanksgiving and Christmas! You'd think that all the chocolate Easter bunnies and candy eggs around that I'd take notice, but it always catches me off guard.
This year I'm on it.
Only we'll be having pizza Easter dinner this year. Pizza. I know, it's weird. It's a tradition we started last year and it was so fun we're going to roll with it again. 🙂
Remember to subscribe to THE ENDLESS MEAL'S NEWSLETTER for FREE to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + our cookbook!
Vegan Thanksgiving Side Dish Recipes:
- Whole Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Garlic
- Bourbon Maple Glazed Carrots with Pistachios
- Mini Hasselback Potatoes with Roasted Garlic
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Ginger Orange Cranberry Sauce
- Roasted Pumpkin Spinach Salad
- Herb and Garlic Butter Smashed Sweet Potatoes with Smoky Pecans
Healthy Vegan Green Bean Casserole
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 1 recipe Magic Mushroom Sauce
- 1 ½ lb green beans, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup panko, or sub gluten-free breadcrumbs if needed, omit for paleo
- Begin by making the easy to make Magic Mushroom Sauce.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Cover the bottom of an 11″x9″ casserole dish with a thin layer of the mushroom sauce. Top with half the green beans, then half the remaining mushroom sauce. Repeat once more. Pour 1/2 cup of water over the top then seal tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, or until hot, bubbling and the green beans are soft.
- While the green bean casserole is in the oven, prepare the topping. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the sliced onion and cook until it is soft and brown, about 8-10 minutes. Add the panko to the pan and let it brown, about 2 minutes.
- Once the green beans are soft, mix them around in the casserole dish, pour the topping over the casserole and serve immediately.