This mushroom sauce is pure magic. It tastes likes it has an entire container of whipping cream in it, yet it's 100% dairy-free vegan. It's made with a secret ingredient that makes it super creamy and decadent.
Just to set the record straight, this magic mushroom sauce is NOT made with magic mushrooms. Sorry if I got your hopes up. While it won't cause you to see funny things and laugh uncontrollably, it will put a giant smile on your face.
It's magic because it tastes like a bucket of cream has been poured over some butter sauteed mushrooms … but it's 100% vegan. Say wha???
I know. It's crazy. It's magic. It's pure happiness on a spoon.
Now you know I never lie to you guys and tell you something taste like –>> Insert some healthy version of something so not healthy <<– when it totally doesn't. Like that Dreamy Vegan Cauliflower Alfredo recipe I shared with you. Remember that? That one was delicious, but not a dead ringer to a traditional alfredo sauce.
So when I tell you that this tastes like the creamiest mushroom sauce this world has ever seen, I mean it. When I first made it, I stood at the stove eating it by the spoonful amazed at how good it was. And good for me, too. It did my head in. Still does.
The secret ingredient that makes this mushroom sauce so creamy is … wait for it … cashews!
Cashews are the David Copperfield of the vegan world. Once they've been soaked in water for a few hours they become very soft and easy to blend into a creamy paste. And because of their high (healthy!) fat content, they feel rich and creamy just like dairy-based cream does.
Unlike other nuts, cashews have a neutral flavor. Once you blend them with a little water, they become an open slate for you to create upon.
I've used them many times to create vegan ice creams that taste just like regular ice cream. Remember that Roasted Strawberry and White Balsamic Ice Cream? That was one of my favs.
I've kept it pretty simple with the mushrooms and stuck to criminis. White mushrooms would work just as well. If you wanted to jazz it up a little you can switch up the mushrooms with oyster mushrooms, portobellos, chanterelles, or a mix of a bunch of different mushrooms.
How to use magic mushroom sauce:
- Drown your pasta or veggie noodles in it.
- Add a little extra water and call it Not From a Can Mushroom Soup.
- Use it in a casserole.
- Pour it over pork chops.
- Or chicken.
- Or tofu.
- Mix it with a bunch of steamed veggies.
- Use it as a pizza sauce. Hey, why not?!
- Top your rice with it.
- Eat it by the spoonful.
Remember to subscribe to THE ENDLESS MEAL'S NEWSLETTER for FREE to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + our cookbook!
Favorite Dairy-Free Mushroom Recipes:
- Creamy Cashew Creamy of Mushroom Soup – vegan!
- Cauliflower ‘Polenta' with Mushrooms and Hazelnuts – vegan!
- Healthy Creamy Turkey Mushroom Soup
- Not Yo Mama's Pork Chops in Mushroom Soup
- Healthy Smoky Mushroom Breakfast Tacos
This mushroom sauce is pure magic. It tastes likes it has an entire container of whipping cream in it, yet it's 100% dairy-free vegan. You will LOVE it!
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in water for 4-24 hours*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 lb crimini or button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- Add the olive oil to a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are brown, about 15 minutes.
- Add the soaked cashews, garlic, sea salt, pepper, 1 1/2 cups of water and a scoop of the cooked mushrooms to a food processor or blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Pour the sauce into the pan with the rest of the mushrooms. Bring the sauce to a boil then remove from the heat.
If you have a high-powered blender you can get away with soaking the cashews for less that 4 hours.