This One Pot Vegan Pasta is the ultimate easy and delicious dinner recipe. The pasta is cooked in a spicy sun-dried tomato and roasted red pepper sauce then covered in tomatoes and buttered breadcrumbs and broiled to perfection.
Diving into this whole one pot pasta thing head first. As in, swan diving straight into that skillet, mouth open wide. Bring it on!
What you're looking ☝️☝️ at is a skillet full of pasta that's smothered in a spicy sun-dried tomato and roasted red pepper sauce that's been cooked in ONE POT. Not one pot to cook the pasta and another for the sauce, just one pot. Singular.
The secret is cooking the pasta right in the sauce. After quickly caramelizing the tomato paste and garlic, you pour in some Veggemo, canned tomatoes, a few spices, and the pasta. The creamy magic happens when the starches are released from the pasta and mix with the Veggemo to create a luscious, silky sauce.
Once the pasta is cooked you can either serve it straight away or top it with some sliced tomatoes and buttered breadcrumbs then give it a quick broil.
This is easy dinner at its best.
Do you guys remember back in February when I shared that recipe for Thai Veggie Wraps with Ginger Lime Satay with you? And do you remember me going on and on about my new found love for Veggemo? I was big-time crushing, and I still am.
If you weren't here for the first introduction of Veggemo around these parts, let me recap.
Veggemo is the first non-dairy milk to be made from veggies.
You read that right, it's made from Veggies. Pea protein, tapioca, and potatoes, to be exact. Veggies rule!
Don't worry, Veggemo doesn't taste like peas or potatoes.
What I like best about Veggemo is the neutral flavor. The unsweetened version works great in savory dishes like this one, and their lightly sweetened original version is ideal for smoothies and cereal. If you're a fan of vanilla, there's Vanilla Veggemo just for you.
Veggemo is a truly unique non-dairy milk.
Because Veggemo doesn't contain any dairy, soy, nuts, or gluten it is safe if you have allergies or intolerance to the major allergens. For bonus points, it's also non-GMO, kosher, and cholesterol free.
You can find Veggemo in your local supermarket or drug store.
Veggemo is available throughout BC, and they have plans to expand throughout Canada and the United States. You can find a store that carries Veggemo by using their store locator here.
When you head to the store, this is what you'll look for:
☝️☝️☝️ Do you see that up there? That's dinner before it magically transforms into the easiest vegan pasta dish you've ever made. I wasn't joking about the one pan thing.
Here's the other magical thing about this dinner: you can keep it vegan, or not. Totally your choice. My plate looked like the one below, but my handsome man's was covered in melty, aged white cheddar cheese.
If you eat a plant-based diet and are a fan of vegan cheese, it certainly wouldn't hurt to stir in a little with the basil and spinach at the end.
If you make this One Pot Vegan Pasta with Spicy Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce make sure you snap a pic and tag #theendlessmeal and #go_veggemo on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create!
- ¼ cup finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes (in oil)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups Unsweetened Veggemo
- 1 lb. uncooked penne (gluten-free if needed)
- 2 roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 - 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- 3 handfuls of spinach
- ¼ cup torn basil
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted (use a dairy-free margarine to keep this vegan)
- ¼ cup fine bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 5 Roma tomatoes, sliced thick
- Pour 1 tablespoon of the oil from your jar of sun-dried tomatoes into a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, tomato paste, and garlic and cook until the tomato paste starts to darken and caramelize, about 3 minutes.
- Add the Veggemo, penne, roasted red peppers, can of tomatoes, sea salt and chili flakes to the skillet and stir to mix well. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 15-20 mins, or until the pasta is cooked through. Stir several times, especially at the beginning, to prevent the pasta from sticking to the skillet.
- While the pasta is cooking, mix together the melted butter, breadcrumbs, and nutritional yeast in a small bowl. Set the oven rack in the top third of your oven and preheat on broil.
- When the pasta is al dente, stir in the spinach and basil and cover the top with the tomato slices. Broil until the tomatoes wilt and are brown in a few places, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle the buttered breadcrumbs on top during the last minute. Serve with a sprinkle of parsley.
More Easy Vegan-licious Dinners: