This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This One Pot Vegan Pasta is the ultimate easy and delicious dinner recipe. The pasta is cooked in a spicy sun-dried tomato and roasted red pepper sauce then covered in tomatoes and buttered breadcrumbs and broiled to perfection.
Diving into this whole one pot pasta thing head first. As in, swan diving straight into that skillet, mouth open wide. Bring it on!
What you're looking ☝️☝️ at is a skillet full of pasta that's smothered in a spicy sun-dried tomato and roasted red pepper sauce that's been cooked in ONE POT. Not one pot to cook the pasta and another for the sauce, just one pot. Singular.
The secret is cooking the pasta right in the sauce. After quickly caramelizing the tomato paste and garlic, you pour in some vegan milk, canned tomatoes, a few spices, and the pasta. The creamy magic happens when the starches are released from the pasta and mix with the dairy-free milk to create a luscious, silky sauce.
Once the pasta is cooked you can either serve it straight away or top it with some sliced tomatoes and buttered breadcrumbs then give it a quick broil.
This is easy dinner at its best.
☝️☝️☝️ Do you see that up there? That's dinner before it magically transforms into the easiest vegan pasta dish you've ever made. I wasn't joking about the one pan thing.
Here's the other magical thing about this dinner: you can keep it vegan, or not. Totally your choice. My plate looked like the one below, but my handsome man's plate was covered in melty, aged white cheddar cheese.
If you eat a plant-based diet and are a fan of vegan cheese, it certainly wouldn't hurt to stir in a little with the basil and spinach at the end.
If you make this One Pot Vegan Pasta with Spicy Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce make sure you snap a pic and tag #theendlessmeal and #go_veggemo on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create!
- ¼ cup finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes (in oil)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 cups vegan milk (unsweetened almond milk works well)
- 1 lb uncooked penne (gluten-free if needed)
- 2 roasted red peppers (chopped)
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- 3 handfuls of spinach
- ¼ cup torn basil
- 1 teaspoon vegan butter (melted)
- ¼ cup fine bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 5 Roma tomatoes (sliced thick)
- Pour 1 tablespoon of the oil from your jar of sun-dried tomatoes into a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, tomato paste, and garlic and cook until the tomato paste starts to darken and caramelize, about 3 minutes.¼ cup finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes, 2 tablespoons tomato paste, 3 cloves garlic
- Add the vegan milk, penne, roasted red peppers, can of tomatoes, sea salt and chili flakes to the skillet and stir to mix well. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 mins, or until the pasta is cooked through. Stir several times, especially at the beginning, to prevent the pasta from sticking to the skillet.2 cups vegan milk, 1 lb uncooked penne, 2 roasted red peppers, 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes, 1 teaspoon sea salt, ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- While the pasta is cooking, mix together the melted butter, breadcrumbs, and nutritional yeast in a small bowl. Set the oven rack in the top third of your oven and preheat on broil.1 teaspoon vegan butter, ¼ cup fine bread crumbs, 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- When the pasta is al dente, stir in the spinach and basil and cover the top with the tomato slices. Broil until the tomatoes wilt and are brown in a few places, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle the buttered breadcrumbs on top during the last minute. Serve with a sprinkle of parsley.3 handfuls of spinach, ¼ cup torn basil, 5 Roma tomatoes
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.