Late Autumn Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
Roasted shaved brussels sprout salad has all of your favorite autumn flavors. The sprouts are first roasted and then tossed in an orange lemon vinaigrette. You'll find sweet potatoes, toasted walnuts, mandarin oranges, and pomegranate all hiding in this healthy and delicious side dish.
Today is about all the cold weather eats we love. They've come together (at last!) in one delicious bowl that we're calling a Late Autumn Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad. Late autumn as in right now and for the rest of this chilly season.
We've got a whole pile of brussels that have been roasted to deliciousness because roasting brussels is the only way to go. In this salad, we're using shaved brussels, which are all kinds of awesome. Once they're roasted, they packed full of delicious flavor and have lots of little crispy bits on them. Serious goodness here.
More brussels sprouts salads
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad Ingredients
In the name of eating all the good things, I've piled this shaved brussels sprout salad full of winter favs. We've got:
- Sweet potatoes. Roasted to bite-sized perfection. Sweet. Delicious. Happy.
- Walnuts. Popped into the oven until toasted and full of flavor.
- Pomegranate. Sweet jeweled candies. Pretty pretty pretty and oh so tasty. (I have to hide these from my daughter or she'll literally eat an entire pomegranate, one tiny seed at a time.)
- Mandarin oranges. We've already been over their sweet deliciousness. They have all the love all season long.
Mandarin Orange Lemon Vinaigrette
Have you ever used mandarin oranges to make salad dressing? Ya, me neither until now. Since this salad is all things autumn and winter and mandarin oranges fall firmly into that category, I knew they were the ones.
I often like to add some maple syrup or honey to salad dressings that are destined for cold weather salads. (I'm looking at you, kale salad!) Heartier greens (as well as Brussels) can be a touch bitter. Adding sweetness to the dressing balances this out.
Mandarin oranges are super sweet. Like I need to tell you that. That's why we eat them by the fist full while they're in season.
But since they have so much natural sweetness, there's no need to add any extra to the dressing.
What to serve with this autumn brussels sprouts salad
This salad is so delicious that it could practically be a meal in itself. But we like to add some protein on the side to make it complete. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Lemon Herb Butter Roast Chicken
- 8 Minute Baked Salmon
- Herbs de Provence Chicken
- Juiciest Baked Pork Tenderloin
- Baked Fish with Lemon Garlic Butter
This is also an amazing salad to serve for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. Here are a few other sides to complete the feast:
- Roasted Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- Orange Cranberry Roast Chicken with
- Mashed Potatoes with Cream Cheese
- Cranberry Meatballs
- The BEST Stuffing Ever
Remember to subscribe to THE ENDLESS MEAL'S NEWSLETTER for FREE to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + our cookbook!
Popular brussels sprouts recipes
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad with Bacon, Walnuts, and Apricots
- Crispy Parmesan Brussels Sprouts
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts Caesar Salad
- Coconut Oil Fried Brussels Sprouts with Garlic, Chili, and Lime ← a personal favorite!
- Bacon Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Late Autumn Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 10 cups shaved brussels sprouts, see notes
- 2 cups diced sweet potatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter or ghee, olive oil for vegan
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 mandarin orange, segments cut in half
- Arils (seeds) of 1 pomegranate
The Orange Lemon Dressing
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Juice of 1 mandarin orange
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 small garlic clove
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place all but 1 cup of the shaved brussels on one baking sheet and the sweet potatoes on another. Toss both with oil then roast in your oven for 30-35 minutes, tossing halfway through.10 cups shaved brussels sprouts, 2 cups diced sweet potatoes, 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Heat the butter, ghee, or olive oil in a small frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the walnuts and let them toast until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes, shaking the pan often.1 teaspoon butter or ghee, ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a jar and shake.¼ cup olive oil, Juice of 1 mandarin orange, Juice of 1 lemon, 1 small garlic clove, A pinch of salt and pepper
- In a large salad bowl, add 1 cup of raw and the roasted brussels, the sweet potatoes, walnuts, orange segments, and the pomegranate arils. Toss with the dressing and serve.Arils (seeds) of 1 pomegranate, 1 mandarin orange