Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad with Bacon, Walnuts & Apricots
This shredded brussels sprouts salad is the perfect mix of crunchy, salty, and sweet. Shredded brussels sprouts, bacon, walnuts, and apricots are tossed in a tangy four-ingredient dressing. It's an easy winter or holiday salad that's ready in just 20 minutes!
Table of contents
Growing up, brussels sprouts were never very appealing. They only made an appearance at Thanksgiving or Christmas, and they were often over-steamed and stinky.
Fast forward to today and brussels sprouts are all the rage, showing up on restaurant menus and being prepared in all sorts of delicious ways!
If this is your first time making a salad with brussels sprouts, you're in for a treat. The crunchy texture of raw brussels sprouts is a nice change from leafy lettuce, and makes the salad feel a bit heartier, too.
To make it, we shave the brussels sprouts quite thin, making them easy to chew. Then we add in some salty bacon crumbles, toasty walnuts, and sweet chewy dried apricots. It all gets tossed together in a simple tangy dressing and then sits for a few minutes so it softens.
It's a quick and easy recipe that adds a fresh element to weeknight dinners, holiday dinners, or anytime throughout the winter months. Leftovers keep well in the fridge and taste great for lunch the next day!
Shredded brussels sprouts salad ingredients
Here's everything you need to make this shaved brussels sprouts salad:
- Bacon – we use thick-cut bacon for lots of chewy bacon texture.
- Brussels sprouts – we shred the brussels so they're nice and thin. You can also buy bags of shredded brussels sprouts at most grocery stores in a pinch.
- Walnuts – nuts give this salad a wonderful crunch, and toasting them enhances their nutty flavor. Feel free to use a different nut if you prefer like pecans, almonds, or even pumpkin seeds.
- Dried apricots – look for apricots that are soft and moist, as opposed to dried out and tough. You can also use other dried fruit like dried cranberries if you prefer.
You only need four ingredients for the bright and refreshing dressing:
- Olive oil – any variety of extra virgin olive oil will work.
- Apple cider vinegar – we use apple cider vinegar but you can also use lemon juice instead.
- Honey – we use honey but maple syrup tastes delicious, too.
- Sea salt + black pepper – for seasoning, to taste.
How to shave brussels sprouts for a salad
To shred the brussels sprouts for a salad, use a sharp knife to cut off the tough end of the stem, then slice them in half so you have two identical pieces.
Starting at the round end (or top) thinly slice the brussels sprouts, working your way to the bottom. You can also use a food processor or mandolin (just be sure to use the guard with the mandolin to protect your fingers). You can also often find bags of shredded brussels sprouts at the grocery store.
How to make shredded brussels sprouts salad
This shaved brussels sprout salad recipe is flavorful and full of texture. It's the perfect side dish for the winter months and works wonderfully with holiday dinners. Here's how to make it in a few simple steps:
- Cook the bacon until it's nice and crispy, then crumble it into small pieces.
- To make the dressing, add all ingredients to a small jar and shake vigorously.
- Add all the salad ingredients to a large bowl.
- Drizzle on the dressing, toss well, and then let it sit for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Full recipe instructions are in the recipe card below.
To save time, you can prepare the vinaigrette up to 3 days ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator. Just bring it to room temperature on the counter and give it a shake when you're ready to use it. You can also pre-shred the brussels sprouts and store them in an airtight container for 2 days.
Store any leftover salad in the fridge for up to 3 days. It tastes delicious served cold right out of the fridge!
You definitely can! Shaved parmesan cheese, crumbled goat cheese, feta cheese, or even blue cheese are tasty additions.
What to eat with shaved brussels sprouts salad
More brussels sprouts recipes
Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad with Bacon and Apricots
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 2 strips thick-cut bacon
- 4 cups shredded brussels sprouts, (see note)
- ½ cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup chopped dried apricots
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper
- Cook the bacon in a medium-sized frying pan over medium heat until crispy, about 8 minutes. Remove it from the pan and crumble it when it's cool enough to touch.2 strips thick-cut bacon
- While the bacon is cooking prep the brussels sprouts and make the dressing. Add the dressing ingredients to a small jar and shake well to mix it.¼ cup olive oil, 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons honey, ¼ teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper
- Add the shaved brussels sprouts, walnuts, apricots, and crumbled bacon to a large bowl.4 cups shredded brussels sprouts, ½ cup chopped dried apricots, ½ cup toasted walnuts
- Pour the dressing over the brussels sprouts and toss to coat well. Let the salad sit for about 10 minutes so the brussels soften a little.