This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This delicious mango chutney chicken is sweet, savory, and sticky! Juicy chicken is coated with an easy-to-make spiced mango chutney paste and then roasted to perfection. With just 10 minutes of prep, you can walk away knowing dinner is cooking itself – it's the ultimate easy weeknight meal when you want something packed with flavor.
Sweet mango and savory chicken are a divine combo! Make this mango chicken curry next.
As far as winning weeknight meals go, this one is a recipe the whole family will love. Simply sauté onions and garlic until soft, add mango chutney and a few staple spices, then coat it over the chicken. Pop it in the oven for 40 minutes and carry on with your night, coming back to a meal that tastes like you devoted hours to getting it just right.
What makes this extra delicious is that the sweet and savory onion chutney paste is spread both under AND over the skin. Once you eat that delicious crispy skin, you still get all the flavor underneath it!
These ingredients come together to make a sweet and savory, sticky chicken dinner. This is what you'll need:
- Oil: To sauté the chicken.
- Onion: Minced very finely and browned, then mixed with the chutney and spices to become a paste.
- Garlic: For savory depth of flavor.
- Mango chutney: Sweet and tangy, the chutney glazes the chicken, adding flavor while also acting like a glaze.
- Curry powder: Boost the flavor profile of the dish with some earthy, warming curry powder.
- Cayenne powder: For a subtle heat.
- Sea salt: To enhance and balance the flavors.
- Chicken thighs: We opt for bone in and skin on chicken in this recipe, however you can use any cut of chicken that you like best. Simply reduce the cooking time for boneless thighs or chicken breast.
How to make mango chutney chicken
Chicken in mango chutney is so easy. The prep time for this recipe is just ten minutes – then you can walk away knowing dinner is cooking itself! These are the instructions:
- Make the mango chutney paste: While your oven preheats, sauté the onion until it's starting to brown. Add the garlic before transferring it to a small bowl, then mix in the mango chutney, curry powder, cayenne, and sea salt.
- Cook the chicken: Spread half the spiced mango chutney paste under the skin of the chicken and the rest on the top. Place the chicken in the pan, put it into your oven for 40 minutes, and walk away knowing that dinner is cooking itself!
- Enjoy: If you want it a little more browned, broil it for 3-4 minutes. Otherwise, enjoy!
What to serve with mango chutney chicken
Can I omit the chicken skin?
The skin is packed with flavor! If you really want to avoid it, you can still make this recipe by omitting the skin and coating the chicken with the sauce.
Can this be made with boneless, skinless chicken?
It sure can! Boneless breasts take about 20 minutes to cook and boneless thighs about 15 minutes.
What about the juice in the pan?
After cooking the chicken, you'll find it renders a bit of fat – you can either discard it after scooping out the chicken or call it sauce and spoon it over your rice!
Can I keep leftovers?
Yes! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days, or in a freezer-proof container in the freezer for up to three months.
- 1 teaspoon oil
- ½ cup very finely minced onion (see notes)
- 2 cloves garlic (very finely minced)
- 6 tablespoons mango chutney (paleo, if needed)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon EACH: cayenne powder and sea salt
- 8 chicken thighs (bone in and skin on)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Heat the oil in a large, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat – see notes. Add the onion and cook until it is soft and starting to brown, about 3 minutes if the onion is very finely minced. Add the garlic and let it cook for 1 minute. Transfer the onions and garlic to a small bowl and set the pan aside.1 teaspoon oil, ½ cup very finely minced onion, 2 cloves garlic
- Mix the mango chutney, curry powder, cayenne, and sea salt into the onions and garlic. Spread half the paste under the skin of the chicken and the remainder on top of the chicken skin. Don't spread any on the bottom of the chicken.6 tablespoons mango chutney, 1 teaspoon curry powder, ¼ teaspoon EACH: cayenne powder and sea salt, 8 chicken thighs
- Place the chicken in the pan and put the pan into your oven. Let the chicken cook for 40 minutes. If you'd like the chicken a little more brown, you can broil it for 3-4 minutes at the end of cooking.
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.