This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Cashew chicken is sweet, sticky, and all things delicious. It's easy to make and better than your favorite takeout. Serve with a side of rice and broccoli for a quick and easy dinner!
What is cashew chicken
If you love sweet and sticky chicken recipes, this one is for you. Cashew chicken is a Chinese-American dish of chicken with cashews nuts in a sweet sauce.
- Lightly crispy pieces of tender chicken.
- With lots of tasty cashew nuts.
- Smothered in a savory sweet sauce.
- That makes our inner 5-year-old self happy happy happy.
- And the adult version of ourselves will love that dinner is only 30 minutes away.
- And easily made refined sugar-free.
READ MORE: Sticky Honey Garlic Chicken
How to make cashew chicken
This is a very simple recipe.
- Toss the chicken pieces in tapioca starch or cornstarch.
- Now mix the sauce ingredients together.
- Cook the chicken until lightly crispy then add the sauce and cashews to the pan.
- Let it bubble for a couple of minutes then eat!
What ingredients are in cashew chicken sauce?
The ingredients in cashew chicken stock vary in each recipe. We find that the best ingredients for this sweet and savory combo are:
- Chicken stock – low-sodium or homemade is best
- Hoisin sauce – you can buy gluten-free hoisin sauce or make your own if you'd like a refined sugar-free version
- Soy sauce – low sodium works best here
- Rice vinegar
How long does chicken with cashew nuts keep?
While this dish is best eaten fresh, it will keep for 3-4 days in the fridge. Reheat it in a pan over medium heat, adding a bit of water or chicken stock to loosen the sauce.
Easy chicken recipes
- 6 boneless chicken thighs (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- ½ cup tapioca starch (can sub cornstarch)
- 2 tablespoons oil (we like avocado oil)
- ¾ cup cashews (toasted (see notes))
Cashew Chicken Sauce
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken stock or water
- ⅓ cup hoisin sauce (gluten-free, if needed. homemade for refined sugar-free)
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce (gluten-free or coco aminos, as needed)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar (can sub white vinegar)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon finely minced ginger
- Place the chicken and tapioca starch in a medium-sized bowl and mix well. In a small bowl, mix together the cashew chicken sauce ingredients.6 boneless chicken thighs, ½ cup tapioca starch, ½ cup low-sodium chicken stock or water, ⅓ cup hoisin sauce, 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce, 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, 2 cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon finely minced ginger
- Heat the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add half of the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, until almost cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan and add the remaining chicken, adding more oil if needed. Cook the second batch of chicken then drain any oil from the pan. Do not wipe the pan clean. Pour the sauce into the pan and let it cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the cashews.2 tablespoons oil, ¾ cup cashews
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.