Creamy Chicken Mushroom Recipe
This Creamy Chicken Mushroom recipe is a healthy and flavorful dinner that is ready in only 30 minutes. Made with garlic chicken thighs and a delicious mushroom sauce that's made creamy with healthy cashew butter. Spoon the sauce over mashed potatoes, mashed cauliflower, steamed rice, or cauliflower rice for a complete meal.
Creamy chicken recipes are my favorite. Especially if they are loaded with hearty mushrooms and juicy garlic chicken that's smothered in an ultra-creamy, velvety sauce that's made with a little cashew butter. Read: dairy-free and healthy. I'm talking about the ultimate comfort food here, my friends.
Reasons this creamy chicken mushroom recipe rules
- Juicy boneless chicken thighs are bursting with flavor. They're based on the popular Juicy Baked Chicken Thighs recipe – only this time we use boneless and they're cooked in a skillet.
- Oodles of mushrooms sauteed with garlic. ← Yes!
- A silky-smooth sauce that tastes like it's loaded with whipping cream. It'll be our secret that this is a healthy cream sauce.
- Easily made into a light dinner with a side salad.
- But even better served with something that begs for a sauce to be poured over the top. Think mashed potatoes, mashed cauliflower, or rice.
- All whipped up in 30 easy minutes!
How to make this creamy chicken mushroom recipe
This is a very easy chicken recipe that can be made in just 3 simple steps.
- Season the chicken thighs with a simple spice mix and sear them for 12 minutes.
- While the chicken cooks, slice the mushrooms then cook them in the pan once the chicken is done.
- Mix some cashew butter with water then pour this into the pan with the mushrooms. It will thicken once it is hot and turn into the creamiest sauce.
After you season the sauce with salt and pepper and put the chicken back into the pan, dinner is ready!
How to make a healthy creamy mushroom sauce for chicken
Most creamy chicken mushroom recipes call for lots of heavy (whipping) cream to be added to the sauce. While it may be delicious, it's very unhealthy and not something you want to eat often. That's why we make this recipe with cashew cream (just a little cashew butter mixed with water) instead.
Using this cashew cream trick is a great way to enjoy comfort food without any guilt.
Here' how you do it:
- Saute some sliced mushrooms until they start to look golden. Now add some garlic. Yum!
- Mix some store-bought cashew butter with a little water until it is the consistency of skim milk. It will seem too watery.
- Pour that cashew cream over the mushrooms and scrape the bottom of the pan as it simmers to lift off all the delicious browned bits left by the mushrooms.
- All you have to do now is season the creamy mushroom sauce with some salt and pepper. So easy!
More recipes using cashew cream-based sauces
We are big fans of using cashew cream to make creamy sauces. Here are a few other recipes that use this healthy hack:
- Creamy Garlic Chicken with Spinach
- Creamy Pesto Chicken (dairy-free!)
- Creamiest Dairy Free Tomato Cream Sauce
- Cashew Cream of Mushroom Soup
What to serve with this creamy chicken mushroom recipe
We love to serve this recipe with something that you can pour the creamy sauce over. Mashed cauliflower or cauliflower rice are my two favorite healthy options. Their potato versions are equally delicious.
For a green side dish, we love:
- Sauteed Green Beans with Garlic
- BEST Roasted Broccoli
- Bacon Kale Caesar Salad
- Classic Broccoli Coleslaw with Lemon Buttermilk Dressing
Remember to subscribe to THE ENDLESS MEAL'S NEWSLETTER for FREE to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + our cookbook!
Creamy Chicken Recipes
- Creamy Garlic Chicken with Spinach
- Creamy Chicken Stew with Dumplings
- Quick Chicken Lazone
- 20 Minute Cashew Chicken Zoodles
- Creamy Coconut Chicken Curry
This Creamy Chicken Mushroom recipe is a healthy and flavorful dinner that is ready in only 30 minutes. Made with garlic chicken thighs and a delicious mushroom sauce that's made creamy with healthy cashew butter. Spoon the sauce over mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower for a complete meal.
✨ If you love this creamy mushroom chicken recipe as much as I do, make sure to give it a 5-star review in the comments below!
- 1 teaspoon each: paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder
- ½ teaspoon each: Italian seasoning and salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 boneless chicken thighs
- 1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons cashew butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Minced parsley, to garnish
- Mix the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, and salt in a small bowl then sprinkle the spices over the chicken.
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large cast iron (or other heavy bottomed) pan. Add the chicken and let it cook for 12 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove the chicken from the pan.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and let them cooked until they are nicely browned, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Mix the cashew butter with 1 ¼ cups of water then pour it into the pan. Scrape the bottom of the pan to remove any stuck on bits then bring it to a boil. Let the sauce thicken then season it to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken back into the pan and let it warm for a couple of minutes. Serve the creamy mushroom chicken with a little parsley sprinkled over top.