This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Banana bread ice cream combines all the sweet, comforting flavors we love into a summertime treat. Soft chunks of fresh banana bread are folded into this healthier ice cream for a rich and decadent treat that won't weigh you down. It's simple to make and ready in just 10 minutes!
Banana ice cream, also referred to as “nice cream”, is a simple plant-based version of ice creaming using frozen bananas. It's super easy to make but you'll need a high-speed blender or food processor to turn the bananas into a creamy soft-serve texture.
It's a healthier treat that's perfect for enjoying on a sunny day, or anytime you're craving something sweet! We add chunks of banana bread for its toothsome texture and chocolate chips for a sweet crunch but you can leave them out if you don't have any on hand.
How to make banana bread ice cream
Follow these simple steps to make this delicious banana bread ice cream at home:
- Start by adding the frozen bananas, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice to your blender. Tip: if you're using a food processor, add a splash of milk.
- Blend on high until it's really smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Pour it into your freezer-proof dish then add the chunks of banana bread and chocolate chips. Either enjoy it right away as soft serve (the best) or freeze it for later. That's it!
Here's everything you'll need to make this decadent healthier ice cream with banana bread:
- Bananas – frozen bananas make up the base of this delicious healthier frozen treat.
- Almond butter – to add a creamy richness and body to the banana ice cream.
- Vanilla – acts as a flavor enhancer and balancer, with a slight floral note.
- Pumpkin pie spice* – for its warm, sweet flavors.
- Banana bread – a slice of your favorite banana bread cut into chunks.
- Chocolate chips – because who doesn't love a bit of chocolate crunch?
*We use our homemade pumpkin pie spice in this recipe as it is a mix of all the familiar baking spices. If you don't have some in your pantry, you can use 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
For kitchen tools, you'll also need a high-speed blender or food processor, and a freezer-proof dish.
How long does this ice cream last in the freezer?
It will stay fresh in an air-tight, freezer-proof dish for up to a month.
Can I use any kind of nut butter?
Yes! Any creamy, natural nut butter will work well here.
How do I make it sweeter?
If you prefer sweeter ice cream, you can add a couple of medjool dates or a drizzle of maple syrup.
Healthier ice cream recipes
Making your own ice cream is always healthier because there are no unwanted ingredients, plus you get full creative control. If you love homemade ice cream as much as we do, also try out these recipes:
Popular banana ice cream recipes
- 3 large bananas (frozen)
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (see notes)
- 1 slice banana bread cut into pieces (optional)
- ¼ cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Add the bananas, almond butter, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice to your high-powered blender or food processor. If you're using a food processor, add 2 tablespoons of milk.3 large bananas, 2 teaspoons vanilla, 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, 2 tablespoons almond butter
- Blend on high until totally smooth, stopping to scrape the sides a few times. If you're using a blender, you'll want to use the tamper to push the bananas down.
- Transfer your soft ice cream to a freezer-proof container and, if using, stir in the banana bread pieces and chocolate chips. Either serve right away as soft-serve ice cream (the best!) or freeze for later.1 slice banana bread cut into pieces, ¼ cup chocolate chips
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.