The Best Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe
This really is The Best Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe around. It's super creamy and has tons of fresh strawberry flavor. What makes it the best strawberry ice cream? It's made with the ripest of strawberries and two secret ingredients. You will LOVE this iconic summer dessert!
I've been tinkering with this strawberry ice cream recipe ever since I first shared it with you back in 2012. It was good then, but it is great now.
When I say it's the best strawberry ice cream recipe, I mean it.
Strawberry ice cream can be a bit of a beast to master. It's often bland and can easily turn icy. THIS strawberry ice cream recipe is neither of those things. It's full of fresh strawberry flavor and super creamy.
There are three things you need to master strawberry ice cream
The first thing you need is the ripest strawberries. How do you know they're ripe? You should be able to smell them from across the room, they should taste as sweet as candy, and they should be pink (not white) when you cut them in half. Farmers' markets are a great place to find ripe strawberries.
If you're making this in the fall or winter, make sure to use frozen strawberries that have been picked in season.
The other two things you need? Read on and I'll tell you all about them in the recipe …
The second thing that you need to make the best strawberry ice cream is high fat content.
To accomplish this, we add coconut oil to the recipe. It makes it super creamy.
What kind of coconut oil works best?
You'll want to use refined coconut oil in this recipe. Unrefined coconut oil will give the ice cream a coconut-y taste and can make it a little gritty.
Opt for refined coconut oil!
Ready for the last trick to making the best strawberry ice cream?
Add some vodka.
If you've ever stored hard alcohol in the freezer, you'll know that it doesn't freeze. That's exactly why we want it in this recipe.
Adding a small amount of vodka (don't worry, you won't taste it) helps keep the ice cream soft and prevents it from becoming icy.
Remember to subscribe to THE ENDLESS MEAL'S NEWSLETTER for FREE to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + our cookbook!
Popular Ice Cream Recipes:
- Fresh Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Coconut Cherry Ice Cream
- Boozy Cherry Garcia Ice Cream
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- The Best Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream
The Best Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 4 cups finely chopped strawberries, see notes
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar, divided
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¼ cup refined coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Optional but recommended: 2 tablespoons vodka
- Place the strawberries and ¾ cup sugar in a medium-sized pot over high heat and bring it to a boil. Once it boils, give the pot a stir and reduce the heat to a simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and let it cool slightly. Pour about half the strawberries into a blender and blend on high until smooth. Add the pureed and chopped strawberries into a bowl together and place them in your fridge to cool.4 cups finely chopped strawberries
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the remaining ½ cup sugar.4 egg yolks
- Heat the whole milk and coconut oil in a small pot over medium-high heat until steam rises from the pot. Add the vanilla and pinch of sea salt. Whisk some of the hot milk into the egg yolks to temper them, then add the egg yolks to the pot of hot milk. Place the pot over medium heat and, whisking constantly but slowly, bring the milk almost to a boil. You want the custard to thicken to the point where it will coat the back of a spoon.1 cup whole milk, ¼ cup refined coconut oil, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla, A pinch of sea salt
- Pour the custard into a bowl through a fine mesh sieve Make sure to use a sieve to filter out any little bits of cooked egg. Add the whipping cream, strawberries, and vodka to the bowl and whisk together well. Place the bowl into your fridge to let it cool completely, at least 4 hours.1 cup whipping cream, Optional but recommended: 2 tablespoons vodka
- Once the strawberry ice cream custard is completely cold, process it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions. Transfer the strawberry ice cream to a freezer-proof dish and cover the top with parchment paper directly on the ice cream. Freeze until firm.