I scream you scream we all scream for ice cream.
Mint chocolate chip ice cream makes me feel like a kid. It reminds me of hot summer days, bare feet burning on the pavement and running through sprinklers. It reminds me of banana carpets (remember those?), grass stains and endless freedom. It reminds me of summer holidays that seemed to last for years.
If I close my eyes while eating mint chocolate chip ice cream, I can almost hear the jingle of the truck that sends kids racing across yards all over North America.
The mint chocolate chip ice cream I ate as a kid was never made with fresh mint. It was also minty green, unlike this very pale green ice cream. The two can't be compared. It would be like comparing a chocolate bar from a convenience store to handmade chocolate from your local chocolatier.
Full of fresh mint flavour and crunchy bits of chocolate chips, this fresh mint ice cream is soft and creamy, and everything home-made ice cream should be. Plus there's a cool minty tingle that lasts on your tongue long after you finish eating.
- 3 cups of fresh mint leaves, rinsed, drained and packed. No stems.
- 2 cups whole milk, divided
- 1 cups heavy cream
- ⅔ cup sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup chocolate chips (I used mint chocolate chips)
- Heat the mint leaves, cream and 1 cup of the milk on the stove until just steaming (do not let boil.) Remove it from the heat and let it stand, covered, for 1 hour.
- Strain the mixture into a separate bowl, pressing on the mint leaves to get out all the liquid. Return the mixture to the saucepan and add the sugar and salt. Heat just until sugar has dissolved.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the egg yolks. Slowly pour the heated milk mixture into egg yolks, whisking constantly. Return the mixture to the saucepan.
- Cook over low heat until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl. Add the remaining cup of milk and stir to combine.
- Place the cream in the fridge until it is completely cold, and then process it according to the directions on your ice cream maker.
- Stir through the chocolate chips once the ice cream has formed.
Want another delicious ice cream recipe?