Peanut Butter Banana Bread
This peanut butter banana bread is the ultimate recipe for peanut butter lovers. It has all the qualities of the beloved classic; it's moist, fluffy, and infused with sweet banana flavor. The added irresistible combination of nutty peanut butter and decadent chocolate chips takes this quick bread to a whole new delicious level. You'll go bananas for it!
Why you'll love this
The world doesn't need just another banana bread recipe, it needs this peanut butter banana bread recipe. It's the ultimate decadent healthier snack or breakfast on the go for anyone who loves the toothsome texture of banana bread combined with the nutty taste of peanuts and rich chocolate. It's a quick bread so it's simple to make and will put those spotty overripe bananas to good use. It won't last long so make a double batch to freeze and enjoy later or share with a friend.
If you love a bit of butter on your banana bread, try it with this homemade butter.
How to make peanut butter banana bread
This recipe is really simple to make by following a few easy steps:
- Preheat the oven to 350F and prepare the loaf pan. Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas and add the wet ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones and stir to combine, but don't over-mix! Fold in the chocolate chips and peanuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 60 minutes, checking at the 45 minute mark. It will be hard, but allow the peanut butter banana bread to cool completely in the loaf pan before removing it, then slice, and enjoy!
The full recipe instructions are in the recipe card below.
Peanut Butter Banana Bread Ingredients
This banana bread uses mostly pantry ingredients and might even save you a trip to the grocery store:
- All-purpose flour – or use your favorite gluten free alternative.
- Granulated sugar + light brown sugar – much of the sweetness will come from the bananas but combine ½ cup of each of these two for best results.
- Baking soda – helps the bead rise.
- Sea salt – brings out the other flavours in the loaf.
- Ripe bananas – the spottier the better! Large, overripe (spotty) bananas will add natural sweetness and flavor.
- Eggs – large eggs at room temperature work best.
- Melted butter – gives a richness and makes this bread wonderfully moist.
- Natural peanut butter – this is the star ingredient adding a nutty taste and extra moisture.
- Chocolate chips – semi-sweet chocolate chips are slightly bitter for a nice balanced taste.
- Peanuts – roasted unsalted peanuts on top add a delicious crunch.
Peanut Butter Banana Bread: FAQs
This recipe was tested using regular all-purpose flour. Other flours like whole wheat flour are drier and absorb more moisture, which could yield a drier loaf.
An all-purpose gluten-free flour blend can work but hasn't been tested for this recipe.
In a pinch! You could use either just granulated sugar or light brown sugar. The combination of the two works best for this recipe.
Peanut butter is the star ingredient in this recipe but any creamy natural nut butter like almond, cashew, hazelnut would yield a similar loaf with a slightly different flavor.
Semi-sweet chocolate chips will offer a bit of bitterness and balance out the sweetness. Feel free to use any variety like mini chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, or a chopped-up chocolate bar which would all be delicious.
Banana bread keeps for up to 4 days wrapped or in an air-tight container on the counter.
Absolutely! Either freeze it whole or slice it before freezing it and place some parchment paper between the slices to prevent them from sticking together. It will keep tightly wrapped in the freezer for about 3 months.
More popular banana baking recipes
- Strawberry Banana Bread
- Walnut Banana Protein Pancakes
- Chunky Monkey Paleo Banana Cookies
- Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Banana Frosting
- Triple Berry Paleo Banana Bread with Lemon Glaze
Peanut Butter Banana Bread
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup melted butter, cooled slightly
- ½ cup natural peanut butter
- 1 cup chocolate chips, optional
- 1 cup chopped roasted peanuts
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 5×9 loaf pan with butter. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the flour, both sugars, baking soda, and salt.1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour, ½ cup granulated sugar, ½ cup light brown sugar, 1 teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Mash the bananas in a large bowl then mix in the eggs, melted butter, and peanut butter.3 large ripe bananas, 2 large eggs, ½ cup melted butter, ½ cup natural peanut butter
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until almost combined. If using, add the chocolate dips and peanut and fold them into the batter.1 cup chocolate chips, 1 cup chopped roasted peanuts
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan then bake for 60-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Check the loaf after 45 minutes and tent it with foil if it's getting too brown on the top. Let the banana bread cool completely before removing it from the pan.
If you love banana bread as much as we do, make sure to check out all of our banana bread recipes!