Pumpkin Pie Spice
Pumpkin pie spice takes less than 5 minutes to make with common pantry spices. This warm spice mix adds an incredible fall flavor to all your autumn cookies, pies, coffee, and breads.
What is pumpkin pie spice?
Pumpkin pie spice is a warm and cozy blend of five spices. It's made of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, and cloves. You'll find these spices often in baking recipes, so you can always use this pumpkin spice seasoning blend instead of the individual spices in your favorite recipes.
We call this blend pumpkin pie spice because the spices are always in pumpkin pie. When you smell these spices mixed together, pumpkin pie will be the first thing you think about!
How to make pumpkin pie spice
Making this spice blend is as easy as a recipe gets!
- Measure the spices into a small bowl.
- Whisk them until they're mixed well.
That's it! Now you can pour the spice blend into a jar and have it on hand to use all fall!
The full recipe is in the recipe card below.
The ingredient list for this recipe is very simple. The most important thing to remember is to always use fresh spices. Smell them first and if they don't smell strong then it's time to buy new ones. Most ground spices will last for about 2 years – including the time they spent sitting on the shelf at your grocery store. For this recipe, you'll want to use ground spices.
How to use pumpkin pie spice
This spice blend will add a touch of warmth to the recipe you're making. We often think about using pumpkin pie spice in sweet desserts like pumpkin brownies, pumpkin oatmeal, or pumpkin pie. But it's delicious used in savory recipes, too. Here are a few to try:
- Sprinkled on roasted acorn squash.
- Add a teaspoon to this curried pumpkin soup.
- Replace the cinnamon in this maple roasted butternut squash.
- Use it to top this pumpkin hummus.
- Stir a little into this goat cheese and pumpkin polenta.
Pumpkin pie spice also makes an excellent DIY gift! Simply put it into a nice jar and wrap it in a bow and you have a quick, inexpensive, and thoughtful Christmas or hostess gift!
Pumpkin Pie Spice FAQs
If you're using this spice blend instead of individual spices, add up the volume of spices in the recipe and use that amount of pumpkin pie spice. In most recipes, you'll want to use 1-2 teaspoons.
If the spices you used are fresh, then this blend will last for at least 1 year if stored properly.
Spices should be stored in a cool dark place to ensure that they stay fresh for as long as possible. A pantry is ideal for storing spices.
Try using your pumpkin spice seasoning in these recipes
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins
- The Best Pumpkin Sugar Cookies with Ginger Maple Glaze
- Healthy Pumpkin Coconut Latte
- Sweet Harvest Pumpkin Brownies
- Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream
Popular Spice Blends
Pumpkin Pie Spice Recipe
- 4 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- Mix the cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, and cloves in a small bowl.4 tablespoons ground cinnamon, 2 tablespoons ground nutmeg, 2 tablespoons ground ginger, 2 teaspoons ground allspice, 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- Transfer the spice blend to a jar with a lid and store in a cool, dark place for up to 1 year.