Creamy Goat Cheese and Pumpkin Polenta
This comforting Creamy Goat Cheese and Pumpkin Polenta is the perfect autumn dinner. You’ll LOVE the warm fall flavors and how quick and easy it is to make.
I'm still struggling to get over summer's disappearance, but this warm bowl of pumpkin polenta is helping ease the pain. I'm a summer girl, through and through. Beaches, sundresses, and sandals make me happy. Bulky sweaters make me feel like I'm being held hostage and the cold makes me want to hide. This year, when the rain and cold came early, I was mad. Seriously, I was SO mad. I felt like summer was ripped away from me too quickly. I need time to ease into the changing seasons. Long, drawn-out goodbyes are my thing.
What's got me out of my grouchy autumn slump is all the pumpkin recipes popping up all over my computer screen. While I can do without the cold air and falling leaves (Yes, they're pretty, but they're DYING. It's depressing.) I totally love warm autumn meals. Big bowls of soup, chilies, squash, pumpkin … I love it all.
It was this very bowl of pumpkin polenta that made me start to accept the coming winter. I mean really, it's pretty hard to stay mad at something that looks so warm and inviting. It's soft, creamy and flavored with goat cheese, pumpkin and butternut squash. It'll warm you to your core and make you happy to stay in out of the cold.
Speaking of staying out of the cold, isn't it so much easier to work when the weather turns sour? I have no problem at all sitting put in front of my computer when it's raining and miserable outside. I mean really, who wants to go outside, get soaking wet, and freeze to death? Not me. No thanks. Fairweather girl here, all the way.
So that was two. Two little reasons to be happy for autumn. Pumpkin polenta and working. It's not a very impressive list, but I'll take it.
Now I'm going to get back to watching the rainfall, searching Pinterest for every fall recipe in existence (err, I mean working) and eating another bowl of pumpkin polenta.
Remember to subscribe to THE ENDLESS MEAL'S NEWSLETTER for FREE to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + our cookbook!
Vegetarian Fall Recipes:
- Autumn Roasted Pumpkin Curry
- Best Kale Minestrone Soup
- Creamy Coconut Lentil Curry
- Sage Pumpkin Pasta Bake with Kale and Buttered Pecans
- Late Autumn Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
- Autumn Quinoa Salad with Maple Dijon Dressing
This comforting Creamy Pumpkin Polenta is the perfect autumn dinner. You'll LOVE the warm fall flavors and how quick and easy it is to make.
- 1 small butternut squash, cut into cubes (roast the seeds, if you'd like)
- 2 teaspoons grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely minced
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup polenta
- 4 cups milk (any neutral-flavored, unsweetened milk will do – see notes)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons goat cheese
- 4 cups spinach
- 1 cup canned pumpkin – not pumpkin pie mix
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- Turn your oven on to 425 degrees. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Put the butternut squash on the tray and toss it with one teaspoon of the grapeseed oil. Put the pan into the oven (you don't need to wait for it to finish preheating) and roast the squash for 25-30 minutes, or until it is tender.
- Add the remaining one teaspoon of grapeseed oil and the butter to a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is soft and brown, about 8 minutes, Add the garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Add the polenta, milk and sea salt to the pot with the onions and bring it to a boil then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Cook the polenta, stirring occasionally, until it resembles thin mashed potatoes, about 12-15 minutes. Stir through the goat cheese, spinach, pumpkin, sage, and the roasted butternut squash. Season to taste with sea salt.
I typically use almond milk in this recipe, but that's because it's what I usually have on hand. Feel free to use dairy milk instead – the higher the fat content the creamier (and more delicious) it will be.