Baby Kale Salad with Pomegranate Seeds and Spicy Candied Pecans
This Baby Kale Salad is massaged until it's tender then topped with juicy pomegranate and sweet and spicy pecans. It's like candy, only good for you. It's a great side dish for your holiday table.
Welcome back for another edition of Throw Back Thursdays! This baby kale salad post dates back to May 25th, 2012.
Well hello, stranger! It's so nice to meet you again. 🙂
Late last summer I started going through all of my posts. My tired eyes were missing far too many mistakes, and it was starting to get embarrassing.
While I was going through each post here on TEM (all 400+) I came across a number of recipes I had completely forgotten about. They were recipes that I love but had been lost along the way.
I started this #tbt series as a way to share them with you again. Don't forget to scroll down to the bottom to see the original pictures!
Original post date: May 25th, 2012
This salad tastes like candy. No, I'm not trying to trick you into eating your veggies. But with all the spicy-sweet candied pecans and sweet and slightly sour pomegranate seeds, the kale is really just a vehicle to help get more of these in your mouth.
Have you ever heard of eating baby kale in a salad before? It's new to me, but maybe I just need to eat more salads. It has also taken over first place as my favourite kind of lettuce. Maybe now I will actually eat more salads.
I have a question for you. How do you get the pomegranate seeds out of a pomegranate? Do you have any super tricks you'd like to share with me? My method involves 15 frustrating minutes at my kitchen counter, and a whole bunch of pomegranate juice sprayed everywhere. There must be a better way. If you've got one, can you share it with me in the comments?
Remember to subscribe to THE ENDLESS MEAL'S NEWSLETTER for FREE to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + our cookbook!
MORE DELICIOUS SALADS
- The Best Greek Salad
- Grilled Chicken Cobb Salad with Warm Bacon Vinaigrette
- Bacon Kale Caesar Salad
- Pomegranate Salad with Spinach, Hazelnuts, and Mint
- Grilled Buffalo Chicken Salad with Avocado Ranch
This baby kale salad is massaged until the kale is super tender then topped with pomegranate seeds and sweet and spicy pecans. You will love it!
FOR THE SPICY CANDIED PECANS:
- 1 cup pecans
- 2–4 tablespoons maple syrup (I used 4 for the pecans in the pictures)
- A pinch of sea salt, fresh cracked pepper and cayenne powder
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon butter (or butter substitute, for vegan)
FOR THE SALAD DRESSING:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- A pinch of sea salt
FOR THE SALAD:
- 4 cups baby kale, packed
- Seeds from 1 pomegranate
- Black pepper, to serve
- Toast the pecans in a frying pan over medium heat until fragrant and light brown, about 5 minutes. Be careful not to burn them. Add the maple syrup, salt, pepper, and cayenne powder. Cook, stirring frequently until the pan is dry, about 2-3 minutes. Stir through the optional butter, if using.
- Place pecans on a piece of parchment paper in a single layer and set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients. Pour the dressing over the kale and massage it gently. Plate the salad and top with the candied pecans, pomegranate seeds and some fresh cracked pepper.
If you’re interested in learning a few tricks that I did to improve my food photography, check out the posts 10 Food Photography Tips for New Food Bloggers and The 10 Best Food Photography Props to Improve Your Food Photography.