These make ahead smoothies are a cinch to make and a perfect, grab-and-go, healthy breakfast for busy weekday mornings. Tropical fruit and coconut will have you dreaming of beaches and sunshine! ?
You guys, I think I've been living under a rock. Did you know that there are these things called Make Ahead Smoothies? Until a few weeks ago I had NO IDEA. Seriously, none at all.
I have to wonder some days what planet I live on. I swear I'm always the last person to find out about these cool new food trends. #SoNotHip
When I first heard about them I thought, “What the …? Who needs to make smoothies ahead of time?” Seemed absurd to make something ahead of time that only takes 5 minutes to make anyway. But then I got distracted by colourful pictures and pretty soon my fridge was full of make ahead smoothies. It happens!
But this also happens … the next morning I woke up late (read: pressed snooze 38 times too many) and was racing around like a mad woman trying, mostly unsuccessfully, to get myself in order on time. You know those smoothies that were sitting in my fridge? Ya, those. They saved the day.
My mind has been opened. Now when you say, “Make ahead smoothie.” I think, “One more snooze.”
Here's the deal with Make Ahead Smoothies:
- They're SO EASY to make. Ok ok I know smoothies are always easy to make, but these ones are extra easy since you only have to make them once. It takes exactly the same about of time to make four as it does to make one. Plus, you'll only have to clean up once. Bonus!
- Grab and Go. Breakfast becomes as easy as walking to your fridge and grabbing a smoothie. Easy peasy. So easy that it can be done even before you have your morning coffee. Whoa!
- They're endlessly customizable. Try adding hemp or flax seeds with the chia seeds. Swap the coconut milk for yogurt. Add berries or banana or some greens to the fruit. Top your smoothie with some granola, nuts or seeds. Use your imagination. Go Crazy. These make ahead smoothies can become anything you want.
All I have to say about these smoothies is … you have to make them. The bottom layer is made with chia seeds and coconut milk which turns into a sort of tapioca-like pudding. On top of the chia pudding is a dreamy blend of tropical mango and pineapple. Even though there's no sugar added, it reminds me of dessert. Breakfast dessert = best ever.
If you make these Tropical Sunshine Make Ahead Smoothies make sure to snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create!
- 1¼ cups coconut milk
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ripe mangos, peeled and cut into cubes (see notes)
- 1 cup frozen pineapple pieces
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut, to serve
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the coconut milk, chia seeds, and vanilla.
- Put the mangos, pineapple, and water into your blender (I love my Vitamix, but any blender will work) and blend on high until smooth.
- Divide the coconut chia pudding (it should have thickened up by now) between 4 - 1 cup mason jars. Top with the pureed mangos and pineapple, cover and chill in your fridge for breakfast. Serve with the coconut sprinkled over top.
*If you use frozen mangos you will need to add a little more water. Add the extra water slowly as you want the smoothie to be quite thick.
If you love smoothies, try these:
Latest posts by Kristen Stevens (see all)
- Chipotle Pineapple Orange Crock Pot Chicken Taco Lettuce Boats - April 27, 2017
- One Pan Lemony Greek Chicken with Potatoes and Asparagus - April 25, 2017
- Broccoli, Cauliflower, Blueberry Coleslaw - April 22, 2017