This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This chocolate chia seed smoothie is so easy to make. It's naturally sweetened with bananas and dates, and the chia seeds add a boost of protein, fiber, and antioxidants. It's the perfect quick and healthy breakfast for busy mornings, or a midday energy boost that everyone will love!
Ch-ch-ch-chia! This go-to chia smoothie recipe is as delicious as it is healthy. With chia seeds, almonds, cocoa powder, dates, and a banana, it's a health-conscious chocolate-lovers dream breakfast.
Drink it from a glass or turn it into a smoothie bowl with your favorite toppings. The fiber from the chia seeds will keep you feeling full for longer. It's super easy to make for a quick healthy breakfast the kids will love, too!
What are chia seeds?
Chia seeds are nutrient-dense little seeds that are naturally rich in minerals, antioxidants, omega 3 fatty acids, and fiber. They are the edible seeds from the desert plant salvia hispanica, a member of the mint family. They're native to central and southern Mexico and became a popular superfood in more recent years.
While black chia seeds are more widely available, you can sometimes find white ones, too.
When soaked, chia seeds have a unique ability to ‘gel'. This is due to the soluble fiber content which makes them filling, satisfying, and good for our gut.
How to make a chia seed smoothie
One of the reasons we love smoothies so much is because they're so easy to make! Here's how this chia seed smoothie comes together in just three simple steps:
- Start by soaking the chia seeds. Add the chia seeds and water to your blender and let them sit.
- After a few minutes, add all the other ingredients.
- Blend it all up until smooth, pour into your glass, and enjoy!
Full recipe instructions are in the recipe card below.
Chia seed smoothie ingredients
Here's everything you'll need to make this healthy smoothie with chia seeds:
- Water – this will be the liquid for the smoothie, and for soaking the chia seeds.
- Chia seeds – these little nutritional powerhouses are filled with protein, and omega 3 fatty acids, and are naturally high in fiber.
- Toasted almonds* – for protein and fat, and a wonderful nutty taste. You can also use almond butter.
- Cocoa powder – adds that creamy chocolatey flavor we all love.
- Dates – to sweeten things up.
- Frozen banana – adds sweetness and bulk to the smoothie.
*Tip: Toast the almonds in a 400 degree Fahrenheit oven for 6-8 minutes, or until they are golden and fragrant.
Chia seed smoothie variations to try
Customize your chia seed smoothie with one of these ideas:
- Add a handful of spinach to the blender, you won't taste it but you'll get all the green benefits!
- Add a ½ avocado for more creaminess and healthy fat.
- Add berries for a wonderful chocolate berry flavor, and a dose of anti-oxidants.
- Add in any nutritional boosters that you love like like hemp seeds, protein powder, spirulina, or herbs.
- Use coconut water in place of water for some added electrolytes.
- Use regular or dairy-free milk in place of water for more creaminess.
Can I use different nuts?
Sure! Cashews also work really well. Or add peanuts for the classic peanut and chocolate combo!
Can I use cacao powder instead of cocoa?
Definitely, these two powders can be used interchangeably.
My banana isn't frozen. Can I still use it?
You can but the smoothie won't be cold and will have a different texture. Frozen banana in a smoothie adds a lot of thickness and creaminess. In a pinch, add a handful of ice to your blender.
How many chia seeds should I use?
Adding chia seeds to smoothies makes them thicker and more nutritious. For this two-person recipe, we use one tablespoon of chia seeds.
How to serve a chia seed smoothie
We like to drink this chocolate chia seed smoothie right from the glass, with a few toasted almonds and chia seeds on top.
If you're feeling like something more substantial, turn it into a chia seed smoothie bowl! Top it with granola, hemp seeds, toasted nuts, shredded coconut, cacao nibs, or fresh fruit for a delicious healthy meal that will keep you fuelled all morning long. It's a great switch-up from our green smoothie bowl!
If you let the smoothie sit a while, it will turn into sweet chia seed pudding and you can add your favorite toppings for more of a dessert feel. You can see our chia matcha pudding recipe for more inspiration.
More recipes with chia seeds
- Chia Seed Pudding
- Hot Pink Chia Berry Smoothie
- Rhubarb Strawberry Chia Jam
- Coconut Lemon Chia Matcha Pudding
- Tropical Sunshine Make Ahead Smoothies
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- ½ cup toasted almonds (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 dates (pits removed)
- 1 frozen banana (peeled)
- Put the chia seeds and water into your blender and let them sit for 5 minutes without blending.1 ¼ cups water, 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Add the toasted almonds (reserve a few if you would like some for garnish), cocoa powder, dates, and frozen banana.½ cup toasted almonds, 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, 4 dates, 1 frozen banana
- Blend on high for 30 seconds, or until your smoothie is very smooth. Enjoy!
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.