This deliciously green Chia Matcha Pudding is made with coconut milk and chia seeds and brightened with lemon juice. It's a healthy vegan dessert recipe that tastes like a decadent treat.
Chia Matcha Pudding ?
What a hip + trendy + healthy + delicious situation we've got going on here, just in time for everything green St. Patty's Day. It's an Irish/ Japanese love child and it's not making any apologies.
I've been waiting a few weeks to share this recipe with you. The pretty light green felt like the perfect way to transition into the St. Patrick's Day recipes coming up over the next week. While this is definitely more grown up than the more common fluorescent green desserts, you don't have to be an adult to love this one. My little girl gobbled it up, so I'm throwing this in the kid-friendly category.
Originally, this was supposed to be a coconut chia matcha pudding. Read: no lemon. Bad bad idea. Without the lemon, this dessert falls flat. The coconut is almost cloying in its richness, and I love coconut and rich desserts. It also had an overwhelmingly canned coconut milk flavor. Yuck.
Adding lemon to the matcha pudding toned down the richness, got rid of the weird canned coconut flavor, and made the whole thing bright and delicious. Coconut + matcha + lemon = love.
I've been obsessed with dreaming up matcha recipes (although you wouldn't know it from the blog) over the past few months. The craze started with an email from Catalin over at the blog Matcha Tea. He reached out to say hi and his blog kept me around with all the pictures of pretty green food. I wanted on that train.
If you haven't had matcha before, it's basically powdered green tea. It's brightly colored and smells a little like cut grass. If you're using it for color, a little goes a long ways. It's supposed to be high in antioxidants and be super healthy for you, but it's the color that impresses me the most. I like pretty things. 🙂
If you make this Coconut Lemon Chia Matcha Pudding make sure to snap a pic and tag #theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create!
- 1 - 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons matcha powder
- 2-4 tablespoons maple syrup, or to taste
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Optional toppings: coconut whipped cream, matcha powder, shredded coconut, lemon zest, rose petals
- Whisk all the ingredients, except the optional toppings, in a medium sized bowl. Place the bowl in your fridge and let it sit for 15-30 minutes. Whisk the pudding once more then transfer to bowls. Cover the bowls and return them to the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Top with any or all of the optional toppings.
Latest posts by Kristen Stevens (see all)
- Grilled Southwest Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with BBQ Hummus - June 19, 2018
- 20 Minute Cashew Chicken Zoodles - June 16, 2018
- Grimm's Father's Day Giveaway - June 13, 2018