This matcha lemonade is part tea, part lemonade, and 100% refreshing! It's naturally sweetened with honey, and it's the ultimate thirst quencher for any occasion, any time of year. With just four ingredients, it's easy to mix up, and it's ready in 5 minutes!
Lemonade is the ultimate thirst quencher! Also try our apple lemonade, blackberry lemonade, or rhubarb lemonade.
Table of contents
If you like Starbucks matcha lemonade, you're going to love this homemade version. It's basically a naturally sweetened lemonade made better with matcha!
It's everything we love about lemonade mixed with the smooth earthy flavor of match tea. Matcha green tea is rich in beneficial antioxidants and contains a small amount of caffeine so you'll get a little mellow boost.
Making it is really easy and it only takes four basic ingredients. We start by dissolving honey in hot water to make a honey simple syrup. Then we mix the matcha powder with water to form a paste. Then, add the honey syrup, matcha paste, water, and lemon juice to a pitcher with some ice cubes and stir.
This matcha lemonade recipe is an ultra-refreshing drink that's perfect for sipping on a patio, or anytime you're after something cold, healthy, and slightly sweet!
Matcha lemonade ingredients
You only need 4 ingredients to make this refreshing matcha lemonade! Here's everything you need:
- Water – we use a bit of hot water to dissolve the honey and cold water for the rest of the lemonade.
- Honey – any type of honey, or another liquid sweetener like agave or maple syrup, will do the trick. Feel free to add more or less depending on how much sweetness you like.
- Matcha – go for culinary-grade matcha which is perfect for mixing into drinks, lattes, smoothies, and other recipes.
- Lemon juice – only fresh will do for that bright tangy taste we're after.
How to make matcha lemonade
Matcha lemonade is a refreshing summer drink that tastes great any time of year. It just so happens to be naturally sweet, and it's easy to mix up in minutes!
- Dissolve the honey in ½ cup of hot tap water.
- Add the matcha powder and ½ cup of cold water to a cup and mix it until the matcha becomes a paste. This makes it easier to mix into the rest of the lemonade.
- Add the matcha paste, honey syrup, and lemon juice to a pitcher with a few ice cubes and then pour in the remaining water and stir. Garnish with a few lemon slices, if desired.
Full recipe instructions are in the recipe card below.
We think so! It's made with only four simple ingredients and it's naturally sweetened with honey. The matcha is full of antioxidants, and the fresh lemon juice offers a healthy dose of vitamin c.
Yes, it does. It contains only a fraction of what you'd find in a cup of coffee, but it also contains L-theanine which is a compound that promotes relaxation, so it will give you a boost without the buzz or caffeine crash.
We've experimented with both culinary and ceremonial grade matcha and both work well for this recipe. Ceremonial grade matcha is a high-quality matcha with a brighter green color, but it's also more expensive. Culinary matcha is often a bit darker, and is best used in drinks like this lemonade, smoothies, lattes, etc.
We haven't tried making it with store-bought lemonade but we would recommend using half lemonade and half water. You can omit the honey because it will have plenty of sweetness from the added sugar.
Nope! You can use a regular whisk to mix the matcha powder with water into a paste, or even a fork will do. But if you have a matcha whisk, you can certainly use it!
More matcha recipes
Popular lemonade recipes
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 6 cups water, divided
- ½ cup honey, or maple syrup
- ¼ cup matcha
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- Start by making the honey simple syrup. Mix together the honey and ½ cup of hot tap water until the honey dissolves.½ cup honey
- Add the matcha and ½ cup of cold water to a cup and mix it until the matcha becomes a paste. See notes.¼ cup matcha
- Add the matcha paste, honey simple syrup, lemon juice, and the remaining 5 cups of water to a pitcher and stir. Add a few handfuls of ice cubes and stir again.½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons matcha
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
If you love lemonade as much as we do, make sure to check out all of our lemonade recipes!
I love the taste of matcha, especially when you add it to zesty lemon. This drink is so refreshing!
This is such a flippin’ delicious bevvy! I love the earthiness of the matcha and the freshness of the lemon. Beautiful combo!
This matcha lemonade🤤is so refreshing and perfect for the summertime. Thanks for the recipe Kristen!!!.
This was so refreshing! We’re doing dry January so it was nice to have a fun beverage!
I made a batch of this lemonade today and oh my goodness was it delicious! And so easy to make too!
I love cooking with matcha and this was no exception! Was crisp and refreshing; easily, a new favorite way to enjoy lemonade!