This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This blueberry lemonade is the ultimate summer refresher, and it's healthy and easy to make. With its deep purple hues, it's vibrant and fresh with the perfect tangy-sweet balance. It's a crowd-pleasing thirst quencher and it takes just 10 minutes to make!
Table of contents
Cool down with this homemade lemonade with a fun blueberry twist. It's the perfect drink for hot summer days, berry season, and picnics. You'll be surprised at how easy and quick this tangy-sweet blueberry lemonade recipe is to make with just a few ingredients.
The fruity blueberry syrup is poured over ice, then stirred with freshly squeezed lemon juice and water. Make a double or triple batch of the syrup and store it in the fridge so you can quickly mix up a pitcher of this hydrating, hot-day drink that everyone will love!
Here's what you'll need
In some parts of the world, fresh blueberries are available most of the year, but we love to make this when it's hot, and blueberries are in-season. Blueberry lemonade is really simple to make at home and only requires four ingredients. Here's everything you'll need:
- Blueberries – fresh blueberries are best.
- Sugar – granulated sugar to sweeten up the fruity syrup.
- Water – to make the blueberry syrup.
- Lemon juice – a generous amount of fresh lemon juice gives this recipe a wonderful tangy taste.
How to make blueberry lemonade
If you're new to making drinks at home, lemonade is a great one to start with. It's really simple and so much better than store-bought. Follow these few easy steps to make your own pitcher of this ultra-refreshing summer drink:
- Begin by making the sugar water. Add the blueberries, sugar, and water to your pot to dissolve the sugar.
- Pour it into your blender and give it a whizz.
- Strain it to remove the blueberry seeds and skins. This makes the drink nice and smooth.
- Fill your pitcher with ice, add the syrup, water, and lemon juice and stir it all together. Serve it with lemon slices and more fresh blueberries. That's it!
Full recipe instructions are in the recipe card below.
Blueberry lemonade variations to try
Have fun putting a personal twist on your blueberry lemonade. Here are some delicious variations to try:
- Muddle in some herbs like lavender, mint, or thyme for an herbaceous twist
- Switch up the berries like in our blackberry lemonade.
- Swap the sugar for a naturally sweet version using honey or maple syrup
- Add more or less sugar depending on your desired sweetness
- Skip the straining step and keep the skins and seeds in for all the antioxidants and health benefits
- Turn it into an adult version by adding a splash of your favorite spirit like vodka or bourbon
Blueberry lemonade variations to try
Can I replace the sugar with a natural sweetener?
Yes! You could use an equal amount of honey or maple syrup.
Can I make this ahead of time?
You can make the syrup ahead of time but wait to mix it all together until you're ready to serve it. Once the ice melts in the pitcher it will dilute the flavors.
How long does it last?
When stored in an air-tight container, the blueberry syrup will last in the fridge for up to 5 days.
How to serve blueberry lemonade
Enjoy this blueberry lemonade anytime you feel like something cold and refreshing to drink. It's a visually pretty drink that can be served all summer long at gatherings or special occasions. It's easy to mix up at picnics or on the go. You could even bring it on a hike for a healthier way to rehydrate. Simply fill a thermos with ice, and fill a separate small container of blueberry syrup, lemon juice, and water then mix it together for a delicious replenishing drink on the go.
Tasty lemonade recipes
- 1 cup blueberries
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 5 cups water (divided)
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- Add the blueberries, sugar, and 1 cup of water to a small pot on high heat. Warm the water until the sugar dissolves, stirring frequently.1 cup blueberries, ½ cup granulated sugar
- Pour the blueberry sugar water into a blender and blend on high.
- Strain the syrup through a fine-mesh sieve, pressing on the sieve to remove as much liquid as possible. If desired, skim any impurities from the top of the blueberry syrup.
- Add ice to a pitcher then pour in the strained blueberry syrup, the remaining 4 cups of cold water, and the lemon juice then stir to combine. Serve the blackberry lemonade over ice garnished with blueberries and lemon slices.½ cup fresh lemon juice
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.
If you love lemonade as much as we do, make sure to check out all of our lemonade recipes!