Blood Orange Lemonade
This naturally sweetened blood orange lemonade tastes as good as it looks. Fresh blood orange juice is mixed with a warmly spiced homemade honey syrup for a refreshing drink that will delight your tastebuds. It's simple to make and ready in just 15 minutes!
If you love lemonade, also try our maple syrup lemonade, mint lemonade, and apple lemonade!
Celebrate the beauty of blood oranges with this spiced blood orange lemonade! In this recipe, we start by making a homemade honey syrup steeped with the warm spices of cinnamon, ginger, and cardamom.
Then we swirl deep purple-red blood orange and lemon juice into a pitcher with ice for a sweet-tart drink that's as refreshing as it is festive. It's quick to make with mostly kitchen-staple ingredients, so mix up a big batch of this non-alcoholic drink before your next party or gathering.
Why you'll love it
This striking drink is as tasty as it is beautiful. Here's why you'll love it:
- It's naturally sweetened with honey
- It's filled with warming spices of cinnamon, ginger, and cardamom
- It's customizable – swap the spices for your favorites or any you have on hand
- It's easy to make
- Save time by making the syrup ahead of time
- It's the perfect non-alcoholic Halloween or holiday party mocktail
- Kids will love it, too
Here's what you'll need for the honey spiced syrup:
- Water – to make the base of the syrup.
- Honey – any honey will work here to add sweetness.
- Spices – cinnamon, ginger, and cardamom are the warming spices we used.
Here's what you'll need for the blood orange lemonade:
- Blood orange juice – freshly squeezed juice from blood oranges.
- Lemon juice – also freshly squeezed.
- Blood orange slices, lemon slices, cinnamon sticks – for garnishing
Tip: If you don't have all the spices, you can either omit them or use the ones that you have.
How to make blood orange lemonade
Here's how to make blood orange lemonade in a few easy steps:
- Start by making the syrup. Boil the water, honey, cinnamon stick, ginger, and cardamom pods in a small pot, cover, then reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes. Let the syrup cool then strain it.
- Next, add the honey syrup, blood orange juice, lemon juice, and water to a large pitcher and stir it all together.
- When you're ready to serve it up, fill the pitcher with ice and slices of blood oranges and lemon. Pour it into tall glasses and garnish it with a cinnamon stick
Yes, you can make the syrup ahead of time. It will keep in the fridge in an air-tight container for up to a week.
You definitely can, but using regular oranges will change the overall feel of this drink.
Ideas for serving blood orange lemonade
This naturally sweetened blood orange lemonade is the perfect party drink, and kids will love it, too. Make a big batch for serving at your next Halloween or holiday gathering. Serve it alongside salty-sweet party foods like our blue cheese grape appetizer and bacon bourbon caramel popcorn.
Make a Halloween menu with our roasted pumpkin seeds, Halloween chocolate mousse, and Halloween spider cupcakes.
Popular lemonade recipes
Blood Orange Lemonade
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
Spiced Honey Syrup
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 slices fresh ginger
- 4 green cardamom pods, crushed so that they're slightly open
Blood Orange Lemonade
- ¾ cup blood orange juice
- ¾ cup lemon juice
- 4 cups water
- Blood orange slices, lemon slices, and cinnamon sticks, to garnish
- Add the water, honey, cinnamon stick, ginger, and cardamom pods to a small pot and bring it to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for 5 minutes. Let the syrup cool for 5 minutes then strain it through a fine-mesh sieve.1 cup water, ½ cup honey, 1 cinnamon stick, 4 slices fresh ginger, 4 green cardamom pods
- Add the honey syrup, blood orange juice, lemon juice, and water to a large pitcher and stir well.¾ cup blood orange juice, ¾ cup lemon juice, 4 cups water
- When you're ready to serve it, add ice and slices of blood oranges and lemon to the pitcher. Pour it into tall glasses and garnish it with a cinnamon stick.Blood orange slices, lemon slices, and cinnamon sticks
If you love lemonade as much as we do, make sure to check out all of our lemonade recipes!