This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This homemade blackberry lemonade is the perfect refreshing cold drink for a hot day. It's a fun twist on lemonade using ripe summer blackberries that the whole family will love. It's a visually pretty drink with deep purple hues that takes just 10 minutes to make, and can easily be doubled or tripled for a crowd.
Table of contents
Sometimes on a hot day, water just doesn't cut it and we want something cold and hydrating to drink. This slightly sweet, slightly tart blackberry lemonade is a healthier homemade version of lemonade with a fun berry twist.
Using just four ingredients, it's simple to make and ready in less time than it would take to go to the store and buy some.
With its purple hues, kids will love it too. You can adjust the sweetness to your taste by adding more or less sugar or swapping the sugar for honey. If you love it, double or triple the blackberry sugar water mixture and store it in the fridge so all you have to do is pour. It's a crowd-pleasing summery recipe for any occasion!
Ingredients for blackberry lemonade
Just a few simple ingredients go into making this refreshing blackberry lemonade. Here's what you'll need:
- Blackberries – fresh berries are best for this recipe, but frozen works in a pinch.
- Sugar – granulated sugar makes a sweet blackberry mixture.
- Water – some for dissolving the sugar, and some for pouring into the pitcher.
- Lemon juice – fresh lemon juice will give the lemonade its bright, tart taste.
How to make blackberry lemonade
It couldn't be simpler to make homemade blackberry lemonade. You'll be wondering why you haven't made it before! Here's how it comes together in just three easy steps:
- Start by bringing the blackberries, sugar, and water to a boil in a small pot to dissolve the sugar.
- Pour this mixture into the blender and blend it.
- Strain it through a fine-mesh sieve to remove the blackberry seeds.
- Grab a pitcher and fill it with ice. Bring it all together by pouring the blackberry sugar water, cold water, and lemon juice over the ice. That's it! Garnish with sliced lemons and a few blackberries, and serve.
Full recipe instructions are in the recipe card below.
Variations to try
There are so many ways to have fun and put a spin on this blackberry lemonade recipe. Here are a few of our favorite ways to mix it up:
- Try adding herbs like thyme, lavender, or mint – add 1 teaspoon of dried thyme or culinary lavender for a lovely herbaceous twist. If using fresh mint, add the leaves to the pitcher at the final step.
- Use honey instead of sugar – if you prefer a natural sweetener, use an equal amount of honey in place of the sugar.
- Make it a cocktail – turn this mocktail into a blackberry lemonade cocktail by adding spirits like bourbon or vodka.
- Add some fizz with a splash of sparkling water to top things off.
- For a larger batch, double or triple the blackberry syrup and store it in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Swap the berries and make a blueberry lemonade.
Can I use different berries?
Yes, you could use other berries for a different but delicious spin.
Can I use frozen blackberries?
Yes, frozen berries work but fresh berries tend to be a bit sweeter.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the blackberry sugar water ahead of time but don't pour it over the ice in the pitcher until you're ready to serve.
How long does it keep?
The blackberry mixture can be kept in the fridge in an air-tight container for at least a week.
How to serve blackberry lemonade
Enjoy this ultra-refreshing berry twist on lemonade on a hot day. It's perfect for sipping on a patio, on a porch, or when lounging by the pool. Make a big batch for a BBQ dinner with friends. Its colorful hues make it festive enough to serve on any special occasion.
Tasty lemonade recipes
- 1 cup blackberries
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 4 cups water (divided)
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- Add the blackberries, sugar, and 1 cup of water to a small pot on high heat. Warm the water until the sugar dissolves, stirring frequently.1 cup blackberries, ½ cup granulated sugar
- Pour the blackberry sugar water into a blender and blend on high.
- Strain the syrup through a fine-mesh sieve, pressing on the sieve to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Add ice to a pitcher then pour in the strained blackberry syrup, the remaining 3 cups of cold water, and the lemon juice. Serve the blackberry lemonade garnished with blackberries and lemon slices.½ cup fresh lemon juice
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.
If you love lemonade as much as we do, make sure to check out all of our lemonade recipes!