Green Goddess Smoothie Bowl
Start your day on the right foot with this healthy green smoothie bowl. With bananas, kale, kiwis, almond butter, and dates, this vibrant smoothie bowl is chock full of powerhouse ingredients and it only takes 5 minutes to make!
For more healthy breakfast options, also try our healthy breakfast cookies, healthy breakfast salad, or green breakfast smoothie.
This green smoothie bowl is our go-to breakfast for busy mornings when we want something healthy but don't have a lot of time. To make it, all you have to do is toss all the ingredients in your blender, pour it into a bowl, and add your favorite toppings. It's that easy!
We're always looking for sneaky ways to get our greens in so this is a recipe we make often. We sometimes mix it up and use spinach in place of the kale and the dates are optional if you like a sweeter smoothie. Have fun putting your own personal spin on it with different toppings.
How to make a green smoothie bowl
This smoothie bowl recipe couldn't be easier, which is great for early mornings. You could almost make it with your eyes closed! Here's how to put it together:
- Add all the smoothie ingredients to your blender.
- Blend on high speed until everything looks really smooth. A high-speed blender will give you the creamiest results. A regular blender will work, but you'll have little bits of kale in your bowl.
- Pour it into a bowl and add your favorite toppings. That's it!
If you're in a hurry, pour the smoothie into a leakproof container or thermos with your toppings and you've got a healthy on-the-go breakfast.
Green smoothie bowl ingredients
Here's everything you'll need to make a healthy green smoothie bowl:
- Frozen bananas – frozen bananas make smoothies super creamy and thick.
- Water or milk – regular milk, your favorite non-dairy alternative, or water.
- Kale – this nutritional superstar contains tons of vitamins and minerals and is chock-full of fiber.
- Almond butter – adds protein and fat, and a nice nutty flavor.
- Dates – optional, to sweeten things up.
- Kiwi – full of vitamin C and fiber and give the smoothie a vibrant green color.
- Toppings (optional): shredded coconut, sliced kiwi, chopped almonds, fresh raspberries, chia seeds
Tips for freezing bananas
Using frozen bananas in smoothies is a game-changer! They add so much creaminess and body to a smoothie that once you try it, you won't go back. Here are a few tips for freezing bananas:
- Buy an extra bunch or two at the grocery store next time you're there.
- Wait for them to ripen.
- When they're ready, peel them and slice or break them into 1″ pieces.
- Now you can either:
- Place the pieces on a baking sheet in the freezer so they freeze separately without sticking together. Once frozen, they can be transferred to an air-tight container for storing in the freezer.
- Or simply place them directly into an air-tight container. They may stick together this way so you'll have to use your fingers to break them apart when you're ready to use them.
Now you've got frozen bananas for your next smoothie bowl.
You can but you won't get the same thick consistency as using frozen bananas.
Definitely! We also love using spinach in smoothies because you don't taste it and it blends up really nicely.
How to serve a smoothie bowl
There's truth to the saying that we eat with our eyes. Have fun making your green smoothie bowl look visually pretty with some of these toppings:
- Fresh fruit like sliced kiwi, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, mango, banana, or sliced pear
- Dried fruit like cranberries, goji berries, shredded coconut, or coconut ribbons
- Chopped nuts like almonds, walnuts, cashews, pistachios, or brazil nuts
- Raw seeds like pumpkin, chia, flax, or hemp
- Granola (for a heartier breakfast bowl)
- Drizzle of runny nut butter
- Sprinkle cocoa nibs for crunch
This smoothie bowl makes a great breakfast but it's also a nourishing snack for any time of day. We love it served in a bowl with toppings but it's also delicious on its own in a glass.
Popular smoothie recipes
- Green Breakfast Smoothie
- Orange Creamsicle Smoothie
- Mango Smoothie
- Mocha Smoothie Bowl
- Very Berry Almond Butter Smoothie
Green Goddess Smoothie Bowl Recipe
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 2 medium frozen bananas
- 1 cup water or milk, any kind of milk works well
- ½ cup kale
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 2 pitted dates, optional – for extra sweetness
- 1 kiwi
- Optional toppings: shredded coconut, sliced kiwi, chopped almonds, raspberries, and chia seeds
- Place the ingredients into your blender.2 medium frozen bananas, 1 cup water or milk, ½ cup kale, 2 tablespoons almond butter, 1 kiwi, 2 pitted dates
- Blend on high speed until smooth.
- Pour the smoothie into a bowl and top with any or all of the toppings. Happy breakfast!Optional toppings: shredded coconut, sliced kiwi, chopped almonds, raspberries, and chia seeds
This recipe is part of our Mother's Day Bruch Recipes series.
I have a food sensitivities to bananas and cauliflower. Do you have a suggestion of another replacement?
Bananas are what make the smoothie creamy. Two other things that I really like for creating a creamy texture are soaked cashews and avocado. I would start by experimenting with one of both of those. 🙂
This is AMAZING !!! You don’t get better than this 🙂 Love it
Thank you so much!!!
Love this Smoothie Bowl. Kristen! SO colorful and healthy way to start the day! I’m sure trying it soon.
Thank you! smoothie bowls are the best way to start the day. 🙂
Absolutely gorgeous, Kristen! I’m late jumping on the smoothie train too. Heck, I don’t even have a smoothie on my blog let alone a smoothie bowll!
I can’t drink green drinks (something just stops me, lol) but I sure could gobble up a bowl of green goodness! Love the fruits you’ve included and don’t those pomegranate arils make every dish special? Sharing all over 🙂
Have a great weekend!
I bet eating the bowl of greens would be so much easier than drinking it. With all the toppings on you’ll hardly even see the colour. Hope you have a great weekend, too!!
The THICKER and more spoonable the better! Like soft serve ice cream!
Yes! That’s exactly how I like it, too!!