Coconut Milk Smoothie
This coconut milk smoothie is thick, smooth, and bursting with berry flavor. It has just the right amount of sweetness, and manages to be ultra-creamy yet completely dairy-free. With just four simple ingredients, it's easy to make, and it's ready in minutes!
For more healthy and refreshing, on-the-go smoothie recipes, try our berry almond butter smoothie, orange creamsicle smoothie, and hot pink berry chia smoothie.
Table of contents
If you like healthy smoothie recipes, this smoothie with coconut milk is for you! It's a simple plant-based smoothie recipe, with just four ingredients: frozen berries, frozen bananas, coconut milk, and water.
The ingredient list might be short, but it's full of bright berry and creamy coconut flavors. It also couldn't be easier to make!
We will warn you that making smoothies with frozen fruit is much easier with a good high-speed blender. We swear by our Vitamix (we literally use it every day), but there are lots of other great brands out there.
When it comes time to make it, just toss everything into your blender and blend on high speed until smooth. You can gauge how much water to use based on your desired consistency.
This coconut milk smoothie is perfect for busy mornings, or anytime you want a quick and satisfying boost of energy. The thickness makes it great for smoothie bowls, with a sprinkle of granola, shredded coconut, hemp hearts, or anything else you can think of!
We blend it up for breakfast, and if there's any left after sharing it with our family, we pour the rest into a mason jar for a healthy snack on the go.
How to make coconut milk smoothies
This strawberry banana smoothie recipe is perfect for busy mornings, or anytime you need a fresh and hydrating boost. Here's how we make it in just two simple steps:
- Add all the ingredients to your blender.
- Blend on high until smooth, adding water as needed until it reaches your desired consistency.
Full recipe instructions are in the recipe card below.
Coconut milk smoothie ingredients
You only need four simple ingredients to make this dairy-free coconut milk smoothie. Here's everything you need:
- Frozen berries – we used frozen raspberries in the pictures, but any kind of berry like blueberry or strawberry (or a mix) works great, too. We love berries because they're full of fiber and antioxidants!
- Frozen banana – frozen banana really adds to the creaminess of the smoothie. You can also use a fresh banana, but you may want to add a handful of ice to the blender.
- Coconut milk – we like the taste and texture of full-fat canned coconut milk, but you can use light.
- Water – just a bit of water to thin out the smoothie and help it blend up nice and smooth.
How to freeze bananas for smoothies
Freezing bananas is one of the best smoothie hacks if you love a creamy smoothie. When you use frozen fruit, you also don't need to add any ice which means you can say goodbye to ice chunks.
Our favorite way to freeze bananas is to lay the chunks on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the freezer for 2+ hours, then transfer them to an airtight container.
You can also just chop them into chunks and place them in an airtight container in your freezer. They do have a tendency to stick together this way, making it a bit tricky to pry them apart.
You can actually use this method to freeze any fruit, and it will keep in your freezer for at least 3 months!
Absolutely! We prefer canned coconut milk to the variety you can find in the refrigerated aisle at the grocery store because it tends to be creamier and contains fewer unwanted ingredients. Store any unused coconut milk in a container in your fridge and use it in other recipes throughout the week!
We love coconut milk smoothies! If you like the taste of coconut, it adds a bit of sweetness and creaminess and gives smoothies a wonderful tropical coconut twist.
A smoothie will keep in the fridge for 1-2 days. While it's still drinkable, it won't have the same creamy texture. Be sure to give it a good shake before drinking it as it tends to separate.
Coconut milk smoothie add-ins
This basic banana coconut smoothie is delicious as-is, but it's also very customizable. You can sneak in just about anything because the coconut flavor of the smoothie masks the flavor of other ingredients. Here are some of our favorite flavor and health-boosting add-ins:
- Protein powder – from whey protein to vegan and plant-based proteins, BCAA's, and more, there are lots of ways to up the protein content.
- Nut butter – peanut butter, almond butter, or even seed butter adds both satiating fat and protein, as well as other nutrients.
- Supplements – collagen peptides, greens powders, ashwagandha, maca, spirulina or chlorella, and açai powder are just some examples of powdered health-boosting supplements that blend well into a smoothie!
- Spinach or kale – get your daily dose of greens by adding them to your smoothie! It will turn your smoothie green, but the health benefits will be worth it. Have you ever tried freezing your kale? It blends up really well this way, plus it stays fresher for longer.
- Seeds – chia seeds, hemp hearts, and ground flaxseeds are full of healthy omega-3 fats and fiber.
Popular smoothie recipes
Coconut Milk Smoothie
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 2 cups frozen berries
- 1 frozen banana
- ¾ cup coconut milk, can be light
- ½ cup water
- Add the ingredients to your blender.2 cups frozen berries, 1 frozen banana, ¾ cup coconut milk, ½ cup water
- Blend on high speed until smooth. If you'd like a thinner smoothie, add a little more water.
This smoothie was sweet and creamy and full of fruit and coconut goodness. The perfect morning pick-me up.
So good! Coconut milk is such a great addition to smoothies – makes it sooooo creamy. Looking forward to adding this to my morning routine!
I just love coconut milk! 🙂 I need to make this smoothie again soon.
This is a great smoothie recipe, perfect for a quick breakfast that’s filling and healthy! I made mine with strawberries and banana and it turned out perfectly. Thanks for sharing!
Coconut milk smoothie was amazingly delicious. Thanks for sharing.
I love all your recipes!! They are beautiful to look at and great tasting!! I have tried so many of your recipes and I haven’t tasted a bad one yet!!
Thank you for such creative and healthy recipes!! The photos are just beautiful!!
Thank you so much, Maureen!