This is how I start my day. Like … Every. Single. Day. It might seem a bit boring to eat (or actually, to drink) the same thing everyday, but I'm telling you, it's the best.
You see, I'm not much of a get up and eat a huge meal first thing in the morning kind of person. And let's be honest, who really has the time to make and eat a big healthy breakfast every morning. Not me! But I still like to start my day with something healthy in my belly.
I started making smoothies about a year ago and to say they've changed my morning life is a bit of an understatement. I have a ton more energy in the morning now that I drink 128 servings of fruits and veggies before 10am (Ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration; it's more like 7 servings.) I also stay full for a long time so often a light lunch is all I need to keep me going strong until dinner. And it takes me all of about 5 minutes to make and clean up and I can drink it as I'm getting ready.
Have I sold you on this whole drink-a-bunch-of-veggies-for-breakfast thing yet? If I haven't, it's probably because you're thinking, “this can't possibly taste good!” Right? Well actually it really does taste great. You don't taste the kale, carrot or spinach at all. The celery has a tiny little taste, so you can leave that out if you want. Once the whole thing is blended together it taste like a yummy fruit smoothie.
The BEST things about starting my day with a green breakfast smoothie:
- I get all of my daily fruits and veggies in one serving (yay!)
- It gives me tons of energy that lasts throughout the day
- It takes me only 5 minutes to make and clean up
- It keeps me full until lunch
- It's uber duber super healthy
- It tastes great
- It's easy to drink even if you're not a breakfast kind of person
I do have to be honest with you: this smoothie is best made with a high-powered blender. I know I know, I wish I could say that it would work in any blender, but the truth is it just won't. If you have a regular blender I would leave out the celery, carrot and remove the kale stems before adding the leaves.
Oh … and if you are making this for kids who are afraid of their greens try using purple kale so it will look a little more fruit-like. I fed it to my 4 year old nephew and, as long as he didn't watch me make it, he drank lots of it. 🙂
If you make this Green Breakfast Smoothie, make sure to snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create.
- Put all ingredients in a high powered blender and blend for 1 minute.
- Drink up your yummy veggies!
* The nutritional information is based on the smoothie without the optional scoop of Vega. If you choose to add that in you'll get an extra 3 servings of veggies. Yay!
* I've added the optional scoop of Vega since that is what I put in my smoothie every morning. If you're not familiar with it Vega is a plant-based (read: vegan) supplement that is made from real natural ingredients. And nope, this is not a sponsored post, I just really do use it everyday. 🙂