This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This beet smoothie is packed with nutrients, balanced with sweet berries and coconut milk (promise it doesn't taste like the garden the beet grew in), and is simple to make with just 4 ingredients. Swap this magenta pink smoothie for your regular green smoothie – you won't regret it!
Beets are a vegetable that draw opposing sides – you either like them or you don't. There's a good chance that if you don't like beets, you were probably served (or overserved) them as a kid and that memory sticks with you. This beet smoothie recipe is here to bring you back to team beet! And if you're already on the beet train, this will be an instant hit!
This smoothie does taste a little like beets but it's not as overpowering as you might imagine. The beet flavor is surprisingly subtle. It makes for a wonderful, healthy breakfast or snack option any day of the week. Even toddlers and little ones will enjoy it!
How to use beets in smoothies
Beets are one of those vegetables that usually require a little extra love. This is because beets have a protective skin and they are quite hard, much like other root vegetables. The good news is, beets show you love in return! There are lots of nutritional benefits of adding beets to your diet; they're loaded with vitamins and minerals like vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, folate, and potassium (to name a few).
The best part about this beet smoothie recipe is there's as little prep as possible. It's recommended that you wash the beets, however, peeling is optional. Then all you have to do is chop them into bite-sized pieces and toss the beets into the blender, raw – no cooking required!
**Tip: Remember how we talked about beets being super hard, well, depending on the type of blender you have at home, you may want to shred/grate the beets or consider using cooked beets instead. This will make it easier on your blender to incorporate them for a nice smooth sip. If you have a high speed blender, like a Vitamix, it will blend up the raw beets without an issue.
How to freeze beets for smoothies
If meal and snack prep is the name of your game, when it comes to preparing beets for smoothies, freezing them ahead of time is a great option.
Make sure to chop the beets into pieces before freezing and store them in an airtight container. It's best to use them up before ice crystals form so they still add a fresh flavor to your beetroot smoothie.
How to make a beet smoothie
This beet smoothie recipe needs just 4 ingredients:
- 1 medium beet
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- ½ cup cold water
To make a raw beet smoothie all you have to do is add all the ingredients to your blender, blend until smooth, and drink up! It's really that easy!
Variations to try
This beet smoothie is delicious on its own, however, it's also super versatile if you want to get creative with the ingredients! Here are some great options to add to this beet smoothie recipe to change it up from time to time:
- Fruit: This beet smoothie recipe uses frozen blueberries, but strawberries or mixed berries will also taste great! Apples and pineapple are other top fruit additions or substitutions.
- Juice: If you want to add more sweetness to the smoothie, you can put a splash of orange juice, pineapple juice, apple juice, or cranberry juice into the recipe.
- Milk: the coconut milk gives an incredibly creamy texture to this recipe, however, you can swap it for other milk options, such as oat milk. Dairy and dairy-free milk options both work.
- Protein: You can add your favorite protein powder to the recipe, put some hemp seeds, or Greek yogurt in for a protein boost.
- Seeds: Adding flax seeds or chia seeds is a great option for even more fiber.
If you love beets, also try these beet recipes!
- Roasted Beet And Kale Salad With Maple Candied Walnuts
- Beet Chip And Goat Cheese Appetizer
- Creamy Roasted Beet Hummus
Can you freeze beets for smoothies?
You absolutely can freeze beets for smoothies. Cut the beets while they are raw or cooked and store them in an airtight container before popping them into the freezer. Make sure to use up the beets before any ice crystals form.
I have leftover smoothie, can I freeze it once blended?
You can store and freeze leftover beet smoothie in a jar with a lid, like a mason jar. You can also turn it into popsicles, if you have a popsicle mold. It will last for a couple of months in the freezer. When you're ready, just thaw the smoothie and enjoy!
Is this a sweet smoothie?
The sweetness in this beet smoothie recipe comes mostly from the blueberries, so it's not overly sweet. If you prefer yours sweeter, you can add a little honey or maple syrup. You can also add a frozen banana, but you'll need to add more liquid so that it blends properly.
- 1 medium beet (diced (see notes))
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- ½ cup light coconut milk (shake the can well before you open it to mix the cream with the milk)
- ½ cup cold water
- Place all the ingredients in a high-powered blender and blend on high for 30 seconds.1 medium beet, 1 cup frozen blueberries, ½ cup light coconut milk, ½ cup cold water
- Drink up your raw beet smoothie!
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.
If you love smoothies as much as we do, check out all of our smoothie recipes!
- Creamy Smoothies – Almond butter smoothie, coconut milk smoothie, and our peanut butter banana smoothie are all super creamy and delicious.
- Berries – very berry smoothie and chia berry smoothie are full of sweet berry flavor.
- Chocolate – our chocolate chia seed smoothie and our mocha smoothie bowl both taste like a treat but are very healthy for you!
- Tropical – mango smoothie, ginger turmeric smoothie, tropical make ahead smoothie, orange creamsicle smoothie, and pineapple smoothie will transport you to the tropics!
- Green – green breakfast smoothie, green goddess smoothie bowl, and kiwi smoothie are great ways to add a boost of healthy greens to your day!
- Fruit smoothies – pear smoothie is a sweet and delicious smoothie recipe.