The Best Crock Pot General Tso’s Chicken
This Crockpot General Tso’s Chicken is truly the best. It is super easy to make, is sweet, sticky and has just the right amount of heat. Skip the takeout and make this recipe ASAP. You will love it!
Making the best crock pot General Tso's chicken couldn't be any easier. All you have to do is throw a few things into your crockpot, turn it on then find something else to do for the next four hours.
I'm exaggerating a tad, but it is very easy. I skipped the part about browning the chicken in a pan before adding it to your crockpot. Other than that I was 100% telling the truth.
This Crock Pot General Tso's Chicken is sticky and sweet with just the right amount of heat. After spending 4 hours in the crockpot, the chicken becomes quite tender and the sauce thickens and coats each piece in a delicious, edible blanket.
It's every bit as good as take out, with a fraction of the fat, sugar, and salt. Sorry Chinese takeout, but I don't think I'll be ordering you again. 🙂
I'm pretty stoked about this whole crockpot thing. I (finally) got my first one a few weeks ago and have been using it all. the. time.
For some reason, I had it in my mind that crockpots were this thing that was only used by frazzled moms who live in suburban house farms and drive around in minivans full of car seats. Since I live in the city, don't have kids and ride my bike to get around town, I thought crockpots weren't for me. I was clearly suffering from I Think I'm Too Cool for Crockpot Cooking. Shame. Shame on me.
Thank god I got over that one.
Hopefully, you're a lot smarter than me and have already figured out that crockpot cooking rocks. If you're now officially the only person left on the planet who doesn't own a crockpot, can you please buy one asap? Trust me, you want to.
Remember to subscribe to THE ENDLESS MEAL'S NEWSLETTER for FREE to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + our cookbook!
More Chicken Crockpot Recipes:
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
- Smoky BBQ Bourbon Crockpot Chicken Chili
- Crockpot Chicken Taco Lettuce Boats
- Crockpot Tuscan Chicken Soup
- The Best Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Crockpot Thai Chicken Curry
This Crockpot General Tso's Chicken is truly the best. It is super easy to make, is sweet, sticky and has just the right amount of heat. You will love it!
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce (try making your own gluten-free and paleo version)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or sub coco aminos for paleo)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar (or sub apple cider vinegar)
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 1-inch piece ginger, finely minced
- A pinch of chili flakes
- Green onions, for garnish
- Add the chicken breast chunks, cornstarch, and fresh cracked pepper to a plastic bag. Shake the bag until the chicken is coated in the cornstarch.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over high heat. Add the chicken and sear it until it is well browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken and all the remaining ingredients to your crockpot and give it a stir. Set your crockpot to high for 4 hours. Note: some readers have found that their crockpots cook at a higher temperature than mine does. If this is your first time making this recipe, check the chicken after 2 hours and, if needed, lower the heat.
- Serve the Crockpot General Tso's Chicken with a side of rice, some steamed veggies and a little sprinkle of green onions on top.