This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Sweet potato ribbons casserole is made with pre-cut sweet potato ribbons that are coated in a maple, bourbon glaze, and topped with sweet and crunchy pecans. It's a simple-to-make and beautiful side dish recipe that is naturally vegan, paleo, and gluten-free.
It's sweet potato casserole season, and we've got a super fun one for you. This must-have on every Christmas and Thanksgiving table just got a playful makeover. Did you see those pretty orange stripes in the casserole? Those are sweet potato ribbons, and they're our newest favorite things.
Even after they're cooked, they keep their ribbon-y shape so they look beautiful in the casserole dish and when you scoop them onto your plate. They also take less time to cook than a traditional sweet potato casserole, so timing with a big turkey dinner is much easier.
How to make sweet potato ribbons casserole
- Boil some coffee, maple syrup, bourbon, and coconut or brown sugar until you make yourself a nice little syrup.
- Get your fingers messy mixing up some pecans, almond flour, a little sugar, some spices, and butter
- Open your bags of sweet potato ribbons into a bowl. Pour that sweet and tasty syrup you made over them and toss them around.
- Put the syrup-coated sweet potato ribbons into your casserole dish, spread the pecans on top, and bake until soft, sweet, and delicious.
What to serve with sweet potato ribbons casserole
Where can I buy sweet potato ribbons?
Sweet potato ribbons are sold in many well-stocked grocery stores. Look for them in the refrigerated produce section.
What can I use instead of sweet potato ribbons?
If you can't find sweet potato ribbons, you can make your own by cutting long, thin strips of sweet potatoes with a mandolin and then cutting those into ribbons.
- ½ cup strong brewed coffee (see notes)
- ¼ cup EACH: maple syrup, bourbon, and coconut or brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons butter (dairy free butter if needed)
- 1 ¼ lb sweet potato ribbons
The Pecan Topping
- ¼ cup butter (softened )
- 1 ½ cups pecans (coarsely chopped)
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon EACH: cinnamon, sage, and vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9×11 inch baking dish. Add the coffee, maple syrup, bourbon, coconut sugar, cayenne, and sea salt to a small pot over high heat. Bring it to a boil and continue to boil it rapidly until it reduces to about a ½ cup, about 10 minutes. Stir in the butter.½ cup strong brewed coffee, ¼ cup EACH: maple syrup, bourbon, and coconut or brown sugar, ½ teaspoon sea salt, 2 tablespoons butter, ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- While the syrup is boiling, prepare the topping. Add all the topping ingredients to a medium-sized bowl and mix together well. Using your hands is the easiest for this job.¼ cup butter, 1 ½ cups pecans, ½ cup almond flour, 1 teaspoon EACH: cinnamon, sage, and vanilla
- Place the sweet potato ribbons in a large bowl. When the syrup has reduced to a ½ cup, let it cool slightly then pour it over the ribbons. Toss gently to coat well.1 ¼ lb sweet potato ribbons
- Place the sweet potato ribbons in the greased casserole dish and cover the top with the pecan topping. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the ribbons are soft and the pecans have toasted.
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.