This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Our favorite wild rice stuffing is made with a wild rice blend cooked in a flavorful broth then mixed with cranberries, pecans, and sweet potatoes.
Hello, dreamy side dish full of all things deliciously autumn!
Lots of chewy, nutty-flavored wild rice gets mixed with soft sweet potatoes, crunchy pecans, and sweet-tart dried cranberries.
It's a magical fall side dish. Serve it with our perfect baked chicken breasts on the weekend, then reheat it for lunches during the week. (It reheats beautifully!)
Or even better, make wild rice stuffing for Thanksgiving dinner. You'll make your guests very happy!
How to make wild rice stuffing
- First, we cook the rice in stock flavored with Italian seasoning so the rice is extra tasty.
- Then we saute some onions, garlic, celery, and sweet potatoes and stir in some pecans and dried cranberries.
- Finally, we mix the wild rice and the veggies together.
That's it! You've just made wild rice stuffing!
Use wild rice stuffing to dress a turkey
You can use this recipe to stuff a turkey! Note: NEVER stuff a turkey ahead of time. Do it right before you put the turkey into the oven to avoid the growth of harmful bacteria.
- This recipe makes enough to stuff a 12-15 lb. bird.
- It's best to put the stuffing into the turkey when the stuffing is warm. If you've made it ahead of time, simply reheat it first.
- Loosely stuff your turkey to ensure that it cooks properly. (If you have extra wild rice dressing, serve it on the side or save it for later.)
How long does wild rice stuffing last?
This stuffing will last for 5-6 days in your fridge, making it a great meal prep option.
Can this recipe be frozen?
Yes! Make sure that the wild rice has cooled completely then transfer it to a freezer-safe bag (we love using these reusable Stasher freezer bags!) The rice stuffing will keep well for at least 3 months in your freezer.
What to serve with wild rice stuffing
- 2 cups wild rice blend (see notes)
- 3 ½ cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon EACH: salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion (minced)
- 1 small sweet potato (cubed small)
- 2 stalks celery (minced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Minced parsley (to serve)
- Add the wild rice, chicken or vegetable stock, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper to a medium-sized pot. Bring the pot to a boil then reduce the heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 40 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and let it sit, covered, for 10 minutes then fluff with a fork.2 cups wild rice blend, 3 ½ cups chicken stock or vegetable stock, 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon EACH: salt and pepper
- While the rice is cooking, add the oil to a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes. Add the sweet potato, celery, and garlic and cook until the sweet potato is soft, about 10 minutes. Reduce the heat if the onions are getting too brown.2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 medium onion, 1 small sweet potato, 2 stalks celery, 3 cloves garlic
- Add the cranberries and pecans to the pan and let them warm for 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.½ cup dried cranberries, ½ cup chopped pecans
- Add the veggies to the fluffed rice and mix together well. Serve with a little minced parsley over top.Minced parsley
Wild Rice Stuffing for your Turkey
- Prepare all steps of the stuffing recipe then use it to stuff your turkey before it goes into the oven.
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.