This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Pair the naturally sweet, sweet potato with this spice blend and you've got yourself an “I'm still thinking about those fries from last night” kind of fry. These spicy sweet potato fries are crispy and tender, and the perfect balance of sweet and spicy.
Table of contents
Crispy sweet potato fries may seem like you're reaching for the stars – but! – it is possible! These spicy sweet potato fries are both crispy and soft and this recipe has all tips you'll need to make a downright delish plate of fries. Toss those sweet potatoes in smoked paprika, garlic granules, cayenne pepper, and sea salt – ooh la la! Ok, enough teasing, let's get cooking!
How to make spicy sweet potato fries
You can have these spicy sweet potato fries in the oven in 10 minutes. Here are the 4 steps you need to take to get to sweet potato heaven:
- Prep the potatoes: Preheat your oven and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Put the sweet potato strips in a large bowl and toss them with olive oil and all the spices.
- Arrange your potatoes on a baking sheet: This step is important for the crispiness of your potatoes. Spread the spicy sweet potato fries in a single layer on the baking sheet and drizzle the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over the top. Make sure there's space between the fries.
- Bake: Bake the fries for 25-30 minutes. If you like them nice and crispy, leave them in the oven a little longer, just make sure to keep an eye on them so they don't burn.
- Serve: Serve the fries straight out of the oven and garnish or pair with your favorite dipping sauce (more on this below).
The full list of ingredients and recipe instructions are in the recipe card below.
Tips to make perfect (crispy) spicy sweet potato fries
Around this neck of the woods, there's nothing but love for the sweet potato fries that come out of the oven that aren't quite crispy. The tender ones are good, too! That said, if you only want to eat them at crisp perfection, follow these expert tips:
- For crispier sweet potatoes, try soaking them for at least an hour in cold water before baking.
- Once you've oiled the fries, dust them with cornstarch. Rub the cornstarch into the fries and then add the rest of the spices.
- Try experimenting with cutting them different widths to see how you like them best – just make sure that each batch you make are all roughly the same size so they cook evenly.
- Make sure not to crowd the sheet pan or they will be too soft.
What to serve with spicy sweet potato fries
You can serve these spicy sweet potato fries as a side dish or eat them as a snack all on their own! Here are some options for what to serve with these spicy sweet potatoes:
- Sauces: First and foremost, these spicy sweet potato fries go so well with a dipping sauce. Top recommendations include harissa mayo, chipotle mayo, homemade mayonnaise, or this chili cheese dip.
- Burgers: Fries and burgers are best friends, and these spicy sweet potato fries are no exception. Pair them with this southwest veggie burger, a guacamole burger, or this chicken feta spinach burger.
- Sandwiches: try a fry and sandwich combo with this grilled salmon sandwich, pulled chicken sandwich, or grilled cheese sandwich.
- Salads: Fries and salad should be the definition of a balanced meal! Try the spicy sweet potato fries with this chicken salad with raspberries or a bacon kale caesar salad.
Can I use white, yellow, or red potatoes instead of sweet potatoes?
Yes, you can! You may need to adjust the cooking time, so keep an eye on your potatoes no matter which type you're cooking with.
Can I substitute the garlic granules for garlic powder?
You can! If you're going to use garlic powder instead, drop it down to ¼ teaspoon (instead of ½ teaspoon) as the garlic powder will have a stronger flavor. Or, if you're a garlic lover, go for the full ½ teaspoon!
Can I make spicy sweet potato fries in an air fryer?
You can follow this recipe for the ingredients, and instead of baking them, you can put them in the air fryer following this air fryer sweet potato fries recipe.
Popular fry recipes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (cut into thin strips)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- ½ teaspoon EACH: smoked paprika, garlic granules, cayenne pepper, and sea salt
The Harissa Mayo
- ¼ cup mayonnaise (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon harissa paste
- ¼ teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Put the sweet potato strips in a large bowl and toss them with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, smoked paprika, garlic granules, cayenne peppers, and sea salt.2 medium sweet potatoes, 2 tablespoons olive oil, ½ teaspoon EACH: smoked paprika, garlic granules, cayenne pepper, and sea salt
- Spread the spicy sweet potato fries in a single layer on the baking sheet and drizzle the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over the top.
- Bake the fries for 25-30 minutes. We prefer ours when some are soft and a few are crispy. If you'd like them crispier, leave them in the oven a little longer, just make sure to keep an eye so they don't burn.
- Make the harissa mayo when the fries are baking. Combine the ingredients in a small bowl. Taste and add more harissa if your tongue can handle it.¼ cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon harissa paste, ¼ teaspoon garlic granules, 1 pinch sea salt
- Serve the fries straight out of the oven with the mayo on the side for dipping.
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.
For more inspiration, check out all of our sweet potato recipes!
This recipe is part of our Healthy Super Bowl Recipes series.