♥ Sweet Potatoes ♥ Harissa ♥ Fries ♥ Yum ♥
Could there possibly be a better match than spicy harissa and sweet potatoes? Any sweet/spicy combo is amazing and that this just so happens to be a sweet/spicy/french fry combo is kind of ridic.
I've been getting a little carried away here with harissa lately. First there was the Spicy Harissa and Roasted Butternut Squash Soup, and then the Make-Ahead Harissa Shakshuka, the Sticky Harissa Honey Glazed Chicken and now these Skinny Sweet Potato Fries. I hope you guys love harissa as much as I do. 🙂
In case you haven't had it before harissa is a spicy North African paste made with chilies, garlic, red pepper and often tomatoes. It packs quite the punch, both in terms of flavour and heat.
In this recipe, the sweet potato fries are coated in harissa, and a few other spices, before they are baked in the oven. They're seriously delicious.
I know a lot of people complain about sweet potato fries not being crispy enough, but I just can't get onboard with that. I feel that one of the best things about them is they can vary in crispiness/softness from fry to fry. Some of my favourites are actually the softer ones.
A few tips about sweet potatoes fries
- Count on one medium sweet potato per person.
- Stop peeling them! Sweet potato skin is edible and you're really just wasting your time if you peel it all off.
- For crispier sweet potatoes try soaking them for at least an hour in cold water.
- Try experimenting with cutting them different widths to see how you like them best – just make sure that each batch you make are all roughly the same so they cook evenly.
- Make sure not to crowd the pan or they will be too limp.
If you make these Sweet Potato Harissa Fries make sure to snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos!Print
These healthy, baked skinny sweet potato harissa fries are a little spicy and have lots of flavour from the harissa.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
For the harissa mayo
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Put the sweet potato strips in a large bowl and toss them with the olive oil, harissa, cumin, cinnamon and sea salt.
- Divide them between the 2 baking sheets – you don't want to crowd the pans! Bake them in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, turing them halfway. I prefer mine when they are soft and a few are crispy. If you'd like them crispier leave them in the oven a little longer, just make sure to keep an eye so they don't burn.
While the fries are in the oven, make the harissa mayo
- Combine all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Taste and add more harissa if your tongue can handle it.
- Serve the fries straight out of the oven with the mayo on the side for dipping.
*If you eat a plant based diet substitute a vegan mayo.
*Whatever you do please do NOT use Miracle Whip in place of the mayo. It will give it a very funny flavour.
Some more delicious harissa recipes for you