Skinny Sweet Potato Harissa Fries with Harissa Mayo
These Skinny Sweet Potato Harissa Fries are healthy, baked to perfection, and a little spicy. They are paired with a super delicious harissa mayo for the perfect side dish! You will absolutely love them.
Could there possibly be a better match than spicy harissa and sweet potatoes? Any sweet/spicy combo is amazing and that this just so happens to be a sweet/spicy/french fry combo is kind of ridic.
I've been getting a little carried away here with harissa lately. First, there was the Spicy Harissa and Roasted Butternut Squash Soup, and then the Harissa Shakshuka, the Sticky Harissa Honey Glazed Chicken, and now these Skinny Sweet Potato Fries. I hope you guys love harissa as much as I do. 🙂
In case you haven't had it before, harissa is a spicy North African paste made with chilies, garlic, red pepper and often tomatoes. It packs quite the punch, both in terms of flavor and heat.
In this recipe, the sweet potato fries are coated in harissa, and a few other spices, before they are baked in the oven. They're seriously delicious.
I know a lot of people complain about sweet potato fries not being crispy enough, but I just can't get on board with that. I feel that one of the best things about them is they can vary in crispiness/softness from fry to fry. Some of my favorites are actually the softer ones.
A few tips for making sweet potatoes fries
- Count on one medium sweet potato per person.
- Stop peeling them! Sweet potato skin is edible and you're really just wasting your time if you peel it all off.
- For crispier sweet potatoes, try soaking them for at least an hour in cold water.
- Try experimenting with cutting them different widths to see how you like them best – just make sure that each batch you make are all roughly the same so they cook evenly.
- Make sure not to crowd the pan or they will be too limp.
Remember to subscribe to THE ENDLESS MEAL'S NEWSLETTER for FREE to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + our cookbook!
More Delicious Fries Recipes:
- Crispy Garlic Herb Carrot Fries
- Loaded Butternut Squash “Rotini” Taco Salad Fries
- Loaded Food Truck Mexican Nacho Fries
- Crispy Eggplant Fries with Chipotle Aioli
- Cajun Sweet Potato Fries with Blue Cheese Yogurt
Spicy Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
The Harissa Mayo
- ¼ cup mayonnaise, see notes
- 1 tablespoon harissa paste
- 1 small garlic clove, grated on a microplane or very finely minced
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Put the sweet potato strips in a large bowl and toss them with the olive oil, harissa, cumin, cinnamon, and sea salt.2 medium sweet potatoes, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon harissa, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Divide them between the 2 baking sheets – you don't want to crowd the pans! Bake them in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, turning them halfway. I prefer mine when they are soft and a few are crispy. If you'd like them crispier, leave them in the oven a little longer, just make sure to keep an eye so they don't burn.
- Combine the ingredients in a small bowl. Taste and add more harissa if your tongue can handle it.¼ cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon harissa paste, 1 small garlic clove, 1 pinch sea salt
- Serve the fries straight out of the oven with the mayo on the side for dipping.
This recipe is part of our Healthy Super Bowl Recipes series.
Oh I love the idea of harissa in these fries! Looks so darn delicious!
OMG! These fries look insanely delicious! I can have them anytime. And gorgeous shots too! 🙂
Thank you so much!!
My gawd, I honestly almost broke my computer reaching in to grab those fries!! Sheer brilliance! I can eat twice as much! 🙂 Your photos are stunning!
OMG I love it! You are da best!!