Crispy Eggplant Fries with Chipotle Aioli
These easy eggplant fries are insanely delicious. They're coated in panko and parmesan and oven-baked until crispy. They're perfect as a simple, family-friendly side dish or simple appetizer. You'll NEVER guess that they're made with eggplant!
Baked eggplant fries
Do you think eggplant fries sound like a strange recipe? Hear us out … Fries can be made with all sorts of vegetables from carrots to zucchini and even avocado. But these eggplant fries are truly our favorite.
We make this recipe regularly and it is a hit even with our youngest taste tester.
The soft eggplant is coated in a deliciously crispy crust made of panko and parmesan. The fries are crispy enough to pick up and dunk in some chipotle aioli without falling over limp (like sweet potato fries often do.)
How to make eggplant fries
- Start by cutting the eggplant into fry-like wedges.
- Next, set up a bowl with a whisked egg and another with panko, parmesan, and spices. Dip the eggplant strips first into the egg then into the panko.
- Line the panko-coated eggplant fries on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Then drizzle oil over the top and put them into your oven.
- Broil the eggplant fries for 8-10 minutes, making sure to turn them over once so that both sides are crispy.
Full recipe in the recipe card below.
Eggplants – We've found that globe eggplants work best for this recipe as they are easiest to cut into fry-like pieces.
Panko – You can substitute regular breadcrumbs in a pinch but they won't be as crispy. Gluten-free works well!
Parmesan – Use freshly grated, if possible.
Oregano – Italian seasoning is a nice substitute.
Garlic salt – You can substitute ½ teaspoon of garlic granules + ¼ teaspoon sea salt.
Eggs – Use large eggs and whisk them with a small splash of water.
Olive oil – Light flavored cooking olive oil works best in this recipe.
More eggplant recipes
- Favorite Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
- The Best Easy Eggplant Involtini
- Sweet and Spicy Asian Eggplant
- Chickpea, Tofu, and Eggplant Curry
- Roasted Eggplant with Creamy Harissa and Pistachios
Eggplant Fries FAQs
Eggplant fries can be breaded up to 8 hours in advance and kept on a baking sheet (covered) in your fridge until you're ready to bake them.
These fries are best eaten shortly after they come out of the oven. If you have any leftovers, they can be reheated until crispy in your oven.
We love these fries with the chipotle mayo that is in the recipe. Some other great options are:
What to serve with eggplant fries
For dinner, we love these fries served with our baked chicken thighs or juicy baked pork chops and a Greek salad. If you're serving these as an appetizer at a party, here are a few other appetizer recipes that will go well:
Popular fries recipes
- Garlic Herb Carrot Fries
- Garlic Dill French Fries with Lemon Dill Yogurt
- Skinny Sweet Potato Harissa Fries
- Baked Parmesan Rosemary Shoestring Fries
- Cajun Sweet Potato Fries with Blue Cheese Dip
Crispy Eggplant Fries with Chipotle Aioli
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 1 cup panko, gluten-free, if needed
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¾ teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 medium eggplants, cut into (½ inch) strips
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon pureed chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- A small squeeze of lime juice and a pinch of sea salt
- Set an oven rack in the top third of your oven. Preheat the oven to the highest temperature. Lightly coat a baking sheet with oil.
- Stir the chipotle aioli ingredients together in a small bowl.¼ cup mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon pureed chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, A small squeeze of lime juice and a pinch of sea salt
- Mix the panko, parmesan, oregano, and garlic salt in a medium-sized bowl. In another bowl, whisk the two eggs with a small splash of water.1 cup panko, ½ cup grated parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon oregano, ¾ teaspoon garlic salt, 2 large eggs
- Dredge the eggplant strips first in the egg then in the breadcrumb mixture. (Using 1 hand for the egg and the other for the breadcrumbs makes this a lot less messy) Place the eggplants on the oiled baking sheet and drizzle with a little more oil.2 medium eggplants, Olive oil
- Place the eggplants in the oven and broil for 5 minutes. Turn the eggplant fries over and broil for another 4-5 minutes, or until they are crispy and brown. Keep a close eye on them if your oven broils at more than 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Serve with some chipotle aioli on the side for dipping.