This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Here's an easy mayo mustard sauce with a bit of kick. Spread it on burgers, sandwiches, or sausages, or use it as a dip. With just 2 ingredients, it's quick to make and it's ready in under 5 minutes!
This homemade mayo mustard sauce is our go-to for adding lots of flavor without much fuss. With just two ingredients, it almost feels silly calling it a ‘recipe' but it's such a useful sauce that we wanted to share how we make it and all the different ways to enjoy it.
It's the sauce we serve on our delicious German-inspired bratwurst burgers, but it's endlessly versatile! Use it to add life to burgers, sandwiches, and sausages, or as a dip with fish cakes, french fries, chicken strips, fresh vegetables, and more.
It's super versatile and you can easily adjust the taste by using different mustards. Mix it up in the moment or store some in your fridge. We like to keep some on hand for those times when we need a quick flavor fix!
Try making this dip with our easy mayo recipe!
Different types of mustards
Mustard is a delightful condiment with a variety of uses, ranging in flavor from mild to strong. We like to think there's a mustard for every mood!
Here's a quick breakdown of the most common types:
- Dijon – originating in Dijon, France, this classic sharp mustard offers a complex tang with a bit of heat.
- Yellow – this American mustard is most iconically used as a condiment on hotdogs and burgers, but its mild and slightly acidic flavor works well in sauces.
- Whole grain – the mustard seeds are only partially blended, resulting in mustard that's coarse yet slightly pasty.
- German – this is an umbrella term for the many varieties of German-style mustards. A Bavarian will be sweeter whereas a Düsseldorf will be hotter.
- Honey – a blend of honey and mustard tames the heat and bitterness making this mustard smooth and tasty on its own as a dip.
Mayo mustard sauce ingredients
You only need two ingredients to make this simple sauce. Here's what you'll need:
- Mayonnaise – use your favorite mayonnaise, or what you have on hand.
- Mustard – we used German mustard, which is seasoned and tastes a bit like a mild dijon. If you enjoy the flavor of yellow mustard, go ahead and use that. For a bit of heat, dijon is lovely. Or, if you want a little sweetness, opt for Bavarian-style sweet mustard.
How to make mayo mustard sauce
This mayo and mustard sauce is super tasty and versatile as a spread or dipping sauce. It also couldn't be easier to make in just two simple steps:
- Simply add the mayonnaise and mustard to a bowl.
- Stir it all together and that's it!
How long does it keep in the fridge?
You can store mayo mustard in the fridge in an airtight container or jar for up to a month.
Is mayo mustard sauce healthy?
With no added or hidden ingredients in this homemade sauce, we like to think that it is! Use a light mayonnaise for a lighter version.
When to use mayo mustard sauce
This creamy mustard mayo sauce is perfect for spreading on burgers, sausages, and sandwiches. It's the sauce we use on our mouth-watering bratwurst burgers. You can also use this creamy mayo mustard as a tasty dip with our dill french fries or easy chicken bites!
It's equally delicious as a dip for appetizers, chips, pretzels, chicken strips, french fries, and more!
Favorite foods to dip in mayo mustard sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise (can be light)
- 2 tablespoons mustard (see notes)
- Add the mayonnaise and mustard to a bowl.½ cup mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons mustard
- Mix until combined.
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.