This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Our take on bang bang sauce is creamy, spicy, and naturally sweet. Enjoy it on all sorts of dishes from fried fish and chicken, to seafood, and vegetables. It's easy to mix together, and it's ready in minutes!
If you're after a sweet and spicy sauce you can dip, dunk, and drizzle on just about anything, look no further than this homemade bang bang sauce!
With only four ingredients, it might be the easiest sauce you'll ever make. It's just mayo, honey, sriracha, and rice vinegar mixed together into a creamy delicious sauce you can use on all your favorite foods.
Unlike most bang bang sauce recipes, we swap the sweet chili sauce for honey. We're not big fans of the ingredients in sweet chili sauce so it's not something we keep in our kitchen. Making it our way turns it into a sauce we feel good about eating.
What is bang bang sauce?
Bang bang sauce is a slightly sweet, slightly spicy mayo-based sauce served alongside Asian street foods, most famously bang bang chicken. The name apparently comes from the sound the street sellers made when cutting the chicken to make the dish. It was made famous by the Bonefish Grill bang bang shrimp appetizer.
It has a creamy texture and is typically made with just a few ingredients: mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce, sriracha, and vinegar.
It's a versatile sauce that's often served with deep fried chicken, as a dipping sauce for shrimp, spread on burgers, drizzled on fish tacos, grilled corn, tempura, and more!
Bang bang sauce ingredients
You only need four simple ingredients to make this tasty homemade bang bang sauce recipe. Here's everything you need:
- Mayonnaise – mayo is the base of the sauce and makes it creamy.
- Honey – we don't love the ingredients in Thai sweet chili sauce, so we avoid cooking with it. We use honey instead, and it tastes great!
- Sriracha – sriracha sauce has spice but it's also flavorful. If you don't already have some in your fridge, look for the classic bottle with the green cap at the grocery store.
- Rice vinegar – vinegar brightens up the taste and balances out the other flavors.
How to make bang bang sauce
Bang bang sauce is super tasty, and it's quick and easy to make. Here's how it comes together in just three very simple steps:
- Add all the ingredients to a small bowl.
- Whisk until combined, taste, and add more sriracha if desired.
- Serve it right away, or store it in your fridge!
Can I use Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise?
Yes, you can, although it will have a tangier taste. If you're going to use Greek yogurt, make sure to look for a thick full-fat Greek yogurt for equal creaminess.
Can I use a different hot sauce?
Sriracha has a unique flavor that isn't matched by any other hot sauces out there. That said, if you have a favorite hot sauce that you love, you can certainly try it for a different spicy kick!
Is bang bang sauce healthy?
While we can't exactly call mayonnaise healthy, our homemade version uses familiar ingredients with no refined sugars, gums, or dyes.
How long does it keep in the fridge?
Store any unused bang bang sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week!
What to eat with bang bang sauce
This bang bang shrimp sauce is what we use in our bang bang shrimp and bang bang cauliflower recipes. It's typically served with fried chicken, fish, or seafood, but also tastes great with veggies like cauliflower or potatoes (and of course crispy french fries).
Foods to dip, dunk, or drizzle in bang bang sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise (can be light)
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- Add the ingredients to a small bowl.½ cup mayonnaise, ¼ cup honey, 2 teaspoons sriracha, 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- Mix until combined. If you'd like it spicier, add a little more sriracha.
- Either serve it right away or store it in a sealed jar in your fridge for up to 2 weeks.
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.