Potato Croquettes with Sweet Sriracha Mayo
How do you feel about Christmas dinner leftovers? Love them? Hate them?
I'm on Team Love Them, at least for a day. There's the once a year turkey sandwich on white bread smothered in mayo, the turkey soup (or this Thai Coconut Turkey Soup, for something a little different) and maybe even a plate of warmed up stuffing covered in never nearly enough leftover gravy.
But what to do with all the leftovers that you just don't feel like eating anymore but feel kind of guilty about throwing out? You make crispy little Potato Croquettes and serve them with some sweet sriracha mayo, that's what you do.
These little guys are crispy on the outside and soft and creamy on the inside. Dipped in some sweet and spicy sriracha mayo that you can whip up in about .237 nano seconds they become little pockets of delicious heaven.
I made these croquettes with some leftover mashed potatoes I had from a roast beef dinner and will definitely be making these again on Boxing Day (that's the day after Christmas for us Canadians).
This Saturday, I'll be bringing them to a Christmas party to share. I'll fry them first at home then warm them up till they're crispy in the oven once I get to the party.
I think they'd be perfect for a game day or Superbowl party too. Oh the possibilities are endless …
If you make Potato Croquettes with Sweet Sriracha Mayo make sure to snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create.Print
These easy to make and potato croquettes are a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. You will LOVE the sweet sriracha dipping sauce!
For the croquettes:
- 1 cup cooled mashed potatoes*
- 2 tablespoons finely minced onion
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup panko (or sub gluten free breadcrumbs)
- 1/4 cup flour (or sub cornstarch to keep these gluten free)
- Oil for frying
For the sweet sriracha mayo:
- 2 tablespoons mayo (not miracle whip)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon sriracha (or to taste)
- Combine the cooled mashed potatoes, onion, garlic, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix till well combined. (Make sure to salt these well so they have lots of flavour.)
- Set up three deep bowls: one for the egg, one for the panko and one for the flour.
- Form croquettes into 2 inch long logs then dip each one first in flour, then in egg, then in the panko. Keeping one hand for the egg and the other hand for the flour and panko makes this process a lot neater.
- Attach a deep fry thermometer to the side of a small deep saucepan. Add the oil and heat it until it reaches 350 degrees. Adjust the temperature so that it remains between 350-375 degrees.
- Add croquettes to the hot oil 3 at a time. Cook for 2 minutes, or until light brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a cooling rack or a paper towel lined plate. Continue to cook remaining croquettes, making sure the oil returns to 350 degrees between batches.
For the sweet sriracha mayo:
- Whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl. Serve with the croquettes.
*Make sure the mashed potatoes are completely cold or you will have trouble forming the croquettes.