Green Beans with Garlic Scapes Aioli
I'm pretty sure you guys already know that when I love something I get a little obsessed with it. Like, make it everyday for a week straight kind of obsessive. These roasted green beans smothered in creamy and super tasty garlic scapes aioli has been this week's current obsession. I've been wanting to share this recipe with you for days now but every time I make it I gobble these delicious little guys up while my camera stares at me from the other side of the room. Sorry about being such a bad sharer. You know I still ♥ you guys, right? Just look at those green beans that turned all toasty and extra tasty after a short stint under the broiler. Yum-o!
And if you haven't yet tried your hand at making homemade aioli now is definitely the time. It will only take you 5 minutes and it's so incredibly tasty. Just make sure that you start with a room temperature egg and use only fresh squeezed lemon juice. And be sure to whisk the lemon juice into the egg yolk before the oil! #muyimportante
Or … you can cheat and use store-bought mayo. I promise I won't tell anybody if you do. 🙂
Garlic scapes … have you used them before? Have you HEARD of them before? They were new to me until this year and I've since fallen in love with them. They are the flower stalks from garlic plants (although they never actually flower, apparently). The ones I've bought from the store have been straight as sticks but, just like everything else bought at the farmers market, these garlic scapes have a lot more character. ♥ the curls.
They taste like a cross between a green onion and a clove of garlic. In other words, they're delicious.
This recipe will make more garlic scapes aioli than you'll likely use on the green beans. Use the leftovers:
- On top of grilled salmon
- In a sandwich
- As a dip for French fries
- On a cheese and charcuterie platter
- Dolloped on some sweet summer tomatoes
- Alongside some grilled corn on the cob
There's really no way to casually transition into what I'm going to say next, so I'll just say it. It's my birthday tomorrow! Yippee!! I'm never one to shy away from a celebration so I'm pretty excited for the upcoming week. Yes, week. I believe in birthday weeks (and months!) I've been told by my handsome man to expect to be whisked away somewhere for a few days next week. #soexcited
I'm also thinking of treating myself to the camera I've been eyeing up for a while now. It's a bit of a splurge, but that's what birthdays are for, right?!
If you make Green Beans with Garlic Scapes Aioli, make sure to snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create.
Green Beans with Garlic Scapes Aioli
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
Garlic Scapes Aioli
- ½ cup mayonnaise, see notes
- ¼ cup finely minced garlic scapes
- 1 small garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 pinch sea salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb green beans, trimmed
- Mix the mayonnaise, garlic scapes, garlic, and salt in a small bowl. Put the bowl into your fridge until you're ready to serve it. Note: the mayonnaise will taste best if the flavors have at least half an hour to meld.½ cup mayonnaise, ¼ cup finely minced garlic scapes, 1 small garlic clove, 1 pinch sea salt
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the green beans and cook them for 5 minutes, tossing them in the pan a few times. You want them to be slightly softened (with a bit of crunch left) and several nice, dark blistered spots.1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 lb green beans
- Serve the beans with the garlic scapes aioli on the side or drizzled over the top.