This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
A slightly spicy, smoky sidekick for your favorite dishes, this harissa mayo will have you coming back for more. It makes a great dip, condiment, or sauce and you can make it with one special ingredient (harissa) and three kitchen staples. Plus, you'll be dipping into it in just 5 minutes!
This creamy, slightly spicy sauce is just what your burgers, fries, and sandwiches are missing! Harissa on its own can be peppery, but combine it with the creaminess of the mayo and you've got yourself a delicious sauce.
What is harissa?
Hailing from North Africa, harissa is a chili paste, so naturally it brings some heat. It won't make you sweat, but it will add a warm, spicy, smoky flavor to your dish (or sauce, in this case). There's also a nice garlicky hit and lemon flavor in most harissa paste.
You can make your own harissa and use it to make this spicy harissa mayo, or you can use store-bought, which is what's used in this recipe.
What is harissa mayo made of?
There are 4 ingredients needed to make this harissa mayonnaise. You likely have 3 of them at home already, and you'll be able to pick up harissa at most major grocery stores. It's typically found in the spice aisle.
- Mayonnaise: this will add a creamy texture to the sauce. You can use light mayo or homemade mayonnaise for this recipe.
- Harissa: this is literally going to spice up your mayo. Two tablespoons will do, however, if you want to bring up the harissa flavor, you can always add more to your liking.
- Garlic powder: this will enhance the already garlicky flavor of the harissa.
- Sea salt: A little goes a long way here. Add just ¼ teaspoon as the mayo already has sodium in it.
How to use harissa mayo
This might be a bold claim, but this harissa mayo is more versatile than its condiment cousin, ketchup. Here are some ideas for how to use your spicy harissa mayo:
- Dip: dip your sweet potato fries, french fries, or any kind of fritter into this harissa mayo sauce.
- Drizzle: you can put some of this sauce over chicken kebabs or meatballs.
- Spread: spread this harissa mayo on a burger, sandwich, or on hot dogs.
- Serve: it as a tasty condiment for roasted veggies.
Is harissa mayo spicy?
It's slightly spicy but nothing that's going to make your nose run or get the sweats. It's a warm heat with a smoky flavor. If you make the harissa mayo too spicy for your liking, you can always add more mayo to tone it down.
How can I store harissa mayo?
Put your harissa mayo in an airtight container and in the fridge. It will last for a couple of weeks.
Where can I buy harissa?
Harissa paste is widely available and you're likely to find it condiment or spice aisle at your grocery store. We usually buy Mina harissa. You can also buy it online.
- ½ cup mayonnaise (can be light)
- 2 tablespoons harissa
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Add the ingredients to a mixing bowl.½ cup mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons harissa, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Mix until well combined.
- Either use it right away or store the harissa mayo in a jar in your fridge for up to 2 weeks.
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.