Grilled Salmon Sandwiches
This grilled salmon sandwich is healthy, satisfying, and delicious. Fresh salmon fillets are grilled to juicy perfection and then tucked into a brioche bun with tartar sauce, arugula, and pickles. It's an easy recipe for weeknights that takes only 15 minutes to make!
If you love grilled salmon, also try our spicy grilled salmon salad with grapefruit and coconut or grilled cedar plank salmon with avocado peach salsa.
This grilled salmon sandwich recipe is perfect for those nights when you want something healthy and satisfying without much effort. While it's tasty year round, it's our go-to meal for warm-weather days when the last thing we want to do is turn on the oven.
For toppings, we love the flavor combination of tartar sauce, sliced pickles, and arugula but you can use your favorite toppings or what you have on hand. Sliced tomato, red onion, butter lettuce, aioli, or a fresh squeeze of lemon juice are just a few others that come to mind.
What to serve with a grilled salmon sandwich
What you'll need to make grilled salmon sandwiches
Here's everything you'll need to make a grilled salmon fillet sandwich at home:
- Olive oil – for making a rub for the salmon, and helps to lock in moisture for extra juicy salmon.
- Italian seasoning – we use our homemade Italian seasoning recipe but you can use your own or a mix of a few Italian herbs you have on hand.
- Seasonings – garlic powder, smoked or sweet paprika, sea salt, and pepper.
- Salmon fillets – we use fresh wild salmon fillets with the skin removed.
- Brioche buns – it wouldn't be a sandwich without some soft brioche or hamburger buns! Grill them or don't, we'll leave that up to you.
- Toppings – load up your sandwich with tartar sauce, sliced pickles, and arugula. If you don't have tartar sauce, mayonnaise works, too.
How to make this grilled salmon sandwich
This is a simple grilled salmon fillet sandwich recipe that's easy to make by following these steps:
- Fire up your grill to preheat it. In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Pat the salmon dry with paper towels, then rub the paste over all sides of the salmon.
- Now place the salmon on your hot grill and let it get some pretty grill marks. Then, flip it over and grill it until it's fully cooked (about 6 minutes total). If you like grilled buns, place the brioche buns on the grill cut-sides down for a minute.
- Now it's assembly time! Slather the toasted buns with tartar sauce, top with arugula and salmon, and finish with a few slices of pickles (or your favorite toppings). Enjoy!
How to remove salmon skin from a salmon fillet
You can ask your grocery store or fishmonger to remove the salmon skin for you. Or you can follow the instructions in this salmon burger recipe. You can also BBQ the salmon with the skin on then remove it after it cooks – it comes off easily once the salmon is cooked.
Grilled Salmon Sandwich: FAQS
Store leftover salmon in an airtight container for 2-3 days in the refrigerator. The leftovers taste great cold in a salad or tucked into a sandwich.
While we love these sandwiches with hot off-the-grill fish, they are also very good with leftover cold fish.
Popular sandwich recipes
- Porchetta Sandwich
- Pulled Chicken Sandwich with Crunchy Slaw
- Roast Beef Sandwich with Spicy Mayo Radishes
- BEST Bacon Sandwich with Caramelized Onions
- Grilled Cheese and Apple Sandwich with Sriracha Butter
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon EACH: garlic powder, smoked or sweet paprika, sea salt, and pepper
- 4 pieces salmon, skin removed – see notes
- 4 brioche buns
- Tartar sauce, sliced pickles, and arugula, to serve
- Preheat your grill to medium-high. In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, ½ teaspoon EACH: garlic powder, smoked or sweet paprika, sea salt, and pepper
- Dry the salmon with paper towels then spread the paste over both sides of the salmon.4 pieces salmon
- Grill the salmon for 3 minutes then flip it over and grill it for another 3-4 minutes. Place the brioche buns on the grill, cut sides down, for 1 minute while the salmon is cooking.4 brioche buns
- To assemble your salmon sandwich, slather the toasted buns with tartar sauce, top with arugula and the salmon and finish with a few slices of pickles.Tartar sauce, sliced pickles, and arugula