Skinny Chili Cheese Dip
Skinny Chili Cheese Dip is easy to make, big on flavor, and low on fat and carbs. It has a surprise ingredient that makes it healthier but it's so delicious that no one will ever know. It's the perfect game day recipe!
Can you even believe what is going on here? This skillet. This dip. This cheeeeese. This skinny chili cheese dip is everything.
Whoa, wait, skinny chili cheese dip? Does that even make any sense?
It does when you mix the cheese with pureed cauliflower, the magical transforming vegetable. I know I know, I was skeptical at first too. But, trust me when I tell you that the cauliflower creates a creamy béchamel-like base for the cheese to melt into.
♥♥♥ food that's healthy but tastes like it's deliciously bad for you.
Most recipes that use cauliflower as a base for cream sauces suggest boiling or sautéing it, but I wanted the cauliflower to act not just as a base but to add flavor to the dip too. By roasting the cauliflower until it is very brown, it develops a deep, nutty flavor that works great with the chili spices.
I want you to make me a promise.
Promise me you won't leave the lime out of the recipe. I know it probably sounds a little odd, but it makes the whole dish. It adds a brightness to the dip that makes all the other flavors pop.
I have to give credit to my handsome man for the lime. That man is pure genius.
Let's talk a little about turning veggies into things they're not meant to be. I've been on a bit of a transforming vegetables kick lately. There was the cauliflower fried “rice”, the zucchini noodle spaghetti and then last week the pad thai made from carrot noodles.
I seriously love how versatile veggies can be. I'm mean really, how awesome is it that you can replace an unhealthy part of a dish with a vegetable and hardly know the difference?!!
Typically when you make a cheese sauce, you start with a mixture of butter, flour, and milk that is called a béchamel sauce. By cooking then blending cauliflower with a little water, you can create a base that has the same consistency as béchamel.
It's pure awesomeness.
Remember to subscribe to THE ENDLESS MEAL'S NEWSLETTER for FREE to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + our cookbook!
Best Dip Recipes:
- Jalapeno Hot Cheese Dip
- Roasted Caramelized Onion Dip
- Cheesy Roasted Garlic Artichoke Olive Dip
- Best Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip
- The Best Baba Ganoush Recipe
Skinny Chili Cheese Dip
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 3 cups chopped cauliflower, about ½ head
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- ¾ cup water
- 2 cups grated white cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ¼ – 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, fresh is best
- 1 clove garlic, very finely minced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes, see notes
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Extra chili powder and jalapeño pepper, to serve
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the cauliflower and onion onto a rimmed baking sheet and toss with the oil. Roast for 20-25 minutes, stirring halfway, until the cauliflower is soft and quite brown.3 cups chopped cauliflower, ¼ cup chopped onion, 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- Blend the cauliflower and onion on high with the water then pour it into a small skillet over medium-high heat. Heat the cauliflower until it starts to bubble then stir in the cheese. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the chili powder, cayenne, lime juice, garlic, and sea salt.¾ cup water, 2 cups grated white cheddar cheese, 2 teaspoons chili powder, ¼ – 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 1 clove garlic, ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Taste the cheese sauce for seasoning then top it with the tomatoes, onions, cilantro, chili powder, and jalapeno.½ cup chopped tomatoes, ¼ cup finely chopped onion, ¼ cup cilantro, Extra chili powder and jalapeño pepper
This recipe is part of our Healthy Super Bowl Recipes series.