Shaved Fennel and Apple Coleslaw with Spicy Candied Almonds
This was supposed to be a salad. There was supposed to be spot prawns and some sort of citrus in it too. Not that I'm complaining. I didn't have much of a vision for this fennel and apple coleslaw, but whatever little bit that I was envisioning wasn't this. I'm blaming it on the dressing.
It was well on its way to becoming a proper salad. It had the best of intentions for it to be something a little more glamorous than a coleslaw. I sidetracked it with a creamy maple dressing, and it was all downhill from there. But wait! Downhill? Hell no. A coleslaw is what this want to be salad should have always dreamed of being.
This fennel and apple coleslaw is creamy with a good hint of sweetness, lots of crunchy spicy candied almonds and crisp apples and fennel. Eat this alongside a fish or turkey burger and you will be happy. Take this to a family picnic, and everybody will be happy. Make this and invite me over and I'll be happy too 🙂Print
Crispy fennel and sweet and spicy candied almonds turn this apple coleslaw into an extra tasty salad. Try it for your next BBQ or picnic! You will LOVE it!
- 1 bulb fennel, sliced thin
- 1 apple, cored and thinly sliced
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup good quality mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
For the almonds:
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Toast the almonds in a dry frying pan for 5 minutes, or until they are fragrant
- Add the water, sugar, salt and pepper and stir. Continue to stir occasionally until the water has evaporated. Remove the pan from the heat. Using a spoon, break up any almonds that have stuck together. Continue to stir almonds ever 2 minutes until they are cool.
- Combine all dressing ingredients together and set aside.
- Toss fennel and apple with the dressing and top with the candied almonds. You can use the fennel fronds as garnish too 🙂