Mexican Crockpot Pork Carnitas
This recipe for Mexican Crockpot Pork Carnitas is one of my favorites. It's not only super easy to make and delicious, but it's also incredibly versatile. Use the carnitas in tacos, burritos, sandwiches or as a side with some potatoes and salad. Make extra … they reheat very well!
My crockpot and I have been chumming around a lot lately. We're like old-time pals. We don't go way back (just as far as The Best Crockpot General Tso's Chicken) but we've grown rather used to having each other around.
Or, errr … I've grown rather used to having *it* around. And clearly, I need to get out more often.
I love that I can take a cheap, tough piece of meat, throw it in the pot and come back at the end of the day for dinner. Is that not the best thing ever?
These crockpot pork carnitas are crazy easy to make. You don't even need to brown the meat first. All you have to do is put the meat in the pot, squeeze in some orange and lime juice and a few other spices and press the button that says, “Start.” How easy is that?
Once the pork is tender enough to shred with two forks I like to put it under the broiler to crisp it up a little. It becomes even more flavorful, and the contrasting crispy/soft textures take it over the edge.
Could you eat it straight out of the pot? Of course! But you'd be missing out on those magical crispy bits.
So what do you do with crockpot pork carnitas?
Eat 'em! (I know, I know. That was bad.)
Here are a few ideas:
- Grab some tortillas and some crunchy slaw and call them tacos.
- Roll up a burrito.
- Load up a bun and call it a crock pot pork carnitas sandwich. Don't forget the coleslaw.
- Put it on top of nachos.
- Eat it with a side of mashed potatoes and some veggies.
Remember to subscribe to THE ENDLESS MEAL'S NEWSLETTER for FREE to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + our cookbook!
Favorite Mexican Recipes
- Spicy Mexican Rice
- Mexican Pasta Salad with Creamy Chipotle Dressing
- Loaded Food Truck Mexican Nacho Fries
- Lightened Up Mexican Corn Dip
- Creamy Avocado Sauce
- Baja Fish Tacos with Southern Slaw
This easy to make Mexican Crockpot Pork Carnitas recipe is super delicious and incredibly versatile. You will LOVE it!
- 1 large orange, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 medium onion, finely minced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste (about 1/2 a can)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 lb. pork butt (pork shoulder) or boneless pork ribs (see notes)
- Combine all the ingredients, except the pork, in your crockpot and mix together well. Lay the pork on top and turn your crockpot to low. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- When the pork is tender, gently shred it using 2 forks. Pull the pork against the grain to get long strips of meat. Mix the shredded pork with the sauce in the crockpot.
- Preheat your oven to broil. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Transfer the pulled pork to the prepared baking sheet and spread it out so that it's in a thin layer.
- Broil in the oven for 15-20 minutes, mixing halfway through until the pork is crispy in many spots.
- Remove from the oven and serve on sandwiches, in tacos, burritos or as a side with some potatoes and salad.
I love to use boneless pork ribs in this recipe as I find they are the most flavorful. Pork butt or shoulder also work well.