Italian Seasoning Chicken
This Italian seasoning chicken is our go-to for busy weeknights. With just a few ingredients, it makes juicy, flavorful chicken every time. It's a super easy recipe that everyone in the family will enjoy, and it's ready in just 15 minutes!
Here's an easy Italian seasoned chicken recipe for busy weeknights that will quickly become part of your weekly meal rotation. There's nothing complicated about it, just perfectly seasoned chicken breasts pan-fried until golden.
We've experimented a lot with different chicken seasonings and we've landed on what we think is the ideal mix. It's our homemade Italian seasoning along with sweet paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
Not only is this chicken dish delicious, but it's also super versatile, healthy, and kid-approved, too. Enjoy it on its own with a grain or vegetable side, or slice it up and serve it on salad, pasta, or pizza. Even tuck the leftovers into a sandwich for easy lunches!
What's in Italian seasoning
Italian seasoning is an aromatic blend of herbs native to Italy and commonly used in classic Italian cooking. While blends can vary, they generally include some combination of basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, garlic powder, sage, or marjoram. Try making your own homemade Italian seasoning – it's easy!
If you're purchasing a store-bought Italian seasoning blend, just be sure to read the label and avoid unwanted ingredients like preservatives, high levels of sodium, or sugar.
Italian seasoning chicken ingredients
This recipe for Italian seasoning chicken is super flavorful, but the ingredients are as simple as it gets. Just chicken, olive oil, and herbs from your pantry. Here's what you'll need:
- Chicken breasts – we use boneless skinless chicken breasts because we like the texture and flavor. But if you prefer chicken thighs they work well, too.
- Italian seasoning – we use our homemade Italian seasoning but you can use store-bought or a mix of a few Italian herbs instead.
- Other seasonings – garlic powder, onion powder, sweet paprika, salt, and black pepper
- Olive oil – for cooking the chicken and to help the seasonings stick.
How to make chicken with Italian seasoning
This Italian seasoning chicken is the ultimate easy and versatile recipe that's perfect for busy weeknights when you want a healthy meal but don't have a lot of time. Here's how we make it in a few simple steps:
- Make sure your chicken breasts are dry then, using the palm of your hand, gently pound the thick end, making sure they're even in thickness. This helps ensure they cook evenly.
- Mix all the seasonings together then sprinkle the seasoning mixture on the chicken to coat all sides.
- In a frying pan with a bit of oil, cook the chicken breasts until the bottom is dark golden brown. Flip and cook the chicken breasts a few minutes more until fully cooked (aka not pink in the middle). That's it!
Full recipe instructions are in the recipe card below.
Nope! This Italian chicken seasoning is more of a rub than a marinade. Simply sprinkle it on the chicken breasts and cook them right away.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. This chicken tastes great cold in salads and tucked into sandwiches.
What to serve with Italian seasoning chicken
This is one of those versatile chicken recipes you can serve with just about anything. Enjoy it on its own, with some sautéed green beans with garlic, or with a side of honey butter skillet corn like in the picture below.
It's perfect for adding protein to salads, bowls, and pasta. It tastes especially delicious with our garlic butter pasta or creamy tomato pasta. It even makes a great pizza topping on our naan pizza for a quick and nourishing weeknight dinner.
Quick and easy chicken recipes
Italian Seasoning Chicken
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 4 medium boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon EACH: garlic powder and onion powder
- ½ teaspoon EACH: sweet paprika, salt, and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Dry the chicken breasts with paper towels then put them on a cutting board. Use the palm of your hand to gently pound the thick end of the chicken breasts so that each piece is even in thickness.4 medium boneless chicken breasts
- Mix the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and pepper in a small bowl then sprinkle the spices evenly over both sides of the chicken.1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon EACH: garlic powder and onion powder, ½ teaspoon EACH: sweet paprika, salt, and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts and let them cook for 3-4 minutes until the bottom side is dark golden brown. Turn the heat down to medium and flip the chicken oven. Continue to cook for another 6-8, until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit and is no longer pink in the middle.2 tablespoons olive oil