This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This honey butter skillet corn is creamy, sweet, and delicious. Make it with fresh or frozen corn and enjoy it year-round. It's a quick and easy side dish the whole family will love, and it's ready in just 15 minutes!
This honey butter skillet corn recipe is irresistible and one of our favorite ways to enjoy corn year-round. It reminds us of the creamed corn from our childhood but is more elevated and much less soupy.
It's a classic dish that combines the familiar crunch of corn kernels with velvety cream cheese, sweet honey, and hot sauce. We add minced chives to finish it off for a little mild onion flavor.
It's meant to be served warm and we especially love it in summer or early fall alongside grilled or barbecued meats. It also pairs perfectly with chicken, ribs, seafood, or even tofu dishes and other vegetable sides.
It's a quick and easy one-pan dish for weeknights (or anytime) that everyone will enjoy!
Honey butter skillet corn ingredients
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this sweet and savory skillet corn recipe. Here's what you need:
- Butter – for sautéing the corn and giving this dish a rich, buttery taste.
- Corn – if corn is in season, try making this recipe with sweet summer corn cut right off the cob. Otherwise, canned or frozen corn works well, too.
- Honey – adds sweetness and puts the ‘honey' in honey butter corn.
- Cream cheese – makes this dish extra creamy and brings it all together.
- Salt + pepper – for seasoning, to taste.
- Hot sauce – we use a mild hot sauce like Frank's but you can use your favorite or something spicier for more kick.
- Chives – chives aren't typically used in this dish, but we love their mild oniony flavor. You can also use green onions or simply omit them.
How to make this honey butter skillet corn:
Honey butter skillet corn is a quick and easy side dish the whole family will love! Here's how to make it in just two simple steps:
- First, grab a large skillet, melt the butter, and cook the corn until it's warmed through. Just make sure any excess liquid in the bottom of the pan evaporates.
- To bring it all together, stir in the honey and chunks of cream cheese. Season it with salt, black pepper, and hot sauce to taste. Lastly, add the chopped chives. That's it!
Full recipe instructions are in the recipe card below.
Honey butter skillet corn variations
Enjoy this classic creamy corn skillet as-is or put your own spin on it with one of these variations:
- Swap the honey for a different sweetener like agave.
- Sprinkle on grated parmesan cheese at the end for some bold, cheesy flavor.
- Make it Mexican by adding chopped jalapeño to the corn, and swapping the chives for minced cilantro.
What's the best type of corn to use?
If corn is in season, try cutting the kernels right off the fresh cob. You'll need about a dozen cobs of corn. Otherwise, this recipe works equally well with canned or frozen corn.
How long do leftovers keep in the refrigerator?
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
What to serve with honey butter corn
This quick and easy corn skillet side dish is so delicious and goes with just about any protein main like chicken, steak, or seafood.
Serve this honey butter skillet corn with our juicy Italian dressing chicken like in the pictures. It also tastes especially delicious with grilled or barbecued meats and vegetables.
Mains that pair well with honey butter corn
Favorite corn recipes
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups corn (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese (can be light)
- ½ teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (optional – see notes)
- 2 tablespoons minced chives (or green onions)
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the corn and cook, stirring a few times, until it's hot. If there is liquid in the bottom of your pan, let it mostly evaporate before moving on to the next step.2 tablespoon butter, 4 cups corn
- Add the honey and cream cheese and stir until the cream cheese has melted. Season with salt, pepper, and if using, hot sauce. Stir in the chives.2 tablespoons honey, 4 tablespoons cream cheese, ½ teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper, 1 tablespoon hot sauce, 2 tablespoons minced chives
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.