Drunken Red Wine Spaghetti is pasta cooked in red wine so it soaks up the pretty color and the natural sweetness and flavor of the wine. It's a super easy dinner recipe yet impressive enough for a special meal.
Friends! It's Love Day! Let's celebrate by getting (our pasta) drunk. ?
This special red wine spaghetti is for all you last minute peeps who woke up this morning and thought, “Oh sh*t, it's Valentine's Day!” ← SO looking at myself right there.
I've made us a dinner recipe that is crazy easy to make but will make you look like a star. Chances are you've got almost everything you need to make this waiting at home in your pantry/ fridge/ freezer.
I'm talking about staples like a bottle of red wine (please tell me that wine is a staple in your house, too. ?), spaghetti, parmesan, and kale. Grab some spicy chorizo on the way home and you'll be set.
This whole thing only takes about 20 minutes to make. Read: super easy! It's got so much flavor though that you'll think you spent hours slaving away in the kitchen. Don't worry, it'll be our little secret.
The idea to cook spaghetti in wine came from a recipe I made years ago. It was seafood linguini where the pasta was cooked in white wine and clam juice and the seafood was thrown in the pot during the last couple minutes of cooking. It was magical.
I've scoured the internet looking for the recipe without luck. I originally found it on a food blog, back in the days when I didn't even know what a food blog was. (How am I even a food blogger??)
Anyway, this Drunken Red Wine Spaghetti tastes nothing like that seafood linguini, but it is where the inspiration came from.
You'll find that the spaghetti takes on the lightly sweet and earthy flavor of the wine. Make sure you use a wine you like to drink as you will definitely taste it. There's no need to pull out your most expensive bottle (please don't do that!) but make sure it's a bottle you would be happy to drink.
If you make this Drunken Red Wine Spaghetti make sure you snap a pic and tag #theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create!
- 1 - 750ml bottle dry red wine
- 2 cups water
- 10 ounces spaghetti
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 5-ounce spicy chorizo sausage, chopped
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 10 stalks black kale, removed from stem and chopped
- ¼ cup parmesan, plus extra for serving
- Place the wine and 2 cups of water in a large pot over high heat. When it boils, add the spaghetti and stir it frequently for the first couple of minutes to prevent it from sticking together in the small amount of liquid. Cook until al dente, 8-10 minutes total. Remove 2 cups of the pasta liquid and reserve. Drain the rest.
- While the pasta water is heating and the pasta is cooking, prepare the rest of the dish. Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until transparent, about 2-3 minutes. Add the chorizo to the pan and saute for 5 minutes, or until cooked through. Add the tomato paste and let it caramelize for 2 minutes. Add the kale and sea salt and let the kale wilt for 1 minute.
- Add the cooked pasta and the parmesan to the pan and toss to coat. Add enough pasta water to loosen the pasta.
- Serve with extra parmesan cheese and some fresh cracked black pepper. And a big glass of red wine, of course!
More tasty pasta recipes: