We went camping! Do you guys love camping as much as I do? It is seriously one of my favourite things in the world.
I love that I get to spend all day outside. I love that I have nothing to do except eat bacon for breakfast, roast smokies for lunch and dinner, and pig out on marshmallows by the bonfire at night. Yep, it's the best.
Ok so more seriously though, smokies and marshmallows and bacon are all pretty kick ass, sometimes you need to switch it up. I've listed a bunch of camping recipes at the end of this post. They're all recipes that I have made when I've been camping before and are pretty easy to whip up around camp.
Not that I'm trying to make you jealous (ok maybe I am a little bit) but this was our own private beach for 4 days. Strawberry Point on Lilloet Lake. So pretty, right?
The handsome man built a raft (so awesome and so sexy watching a hot man build a raft) and we spent a few afternoons out on the water fly fishing. Ok, who am I kidding … I held a trolling rod while I suntanned.
I have a firm belief that there is no such thing as too much bacon, especially when you're camping.
So you'd think that for someone who likes to cook as much as I do that I might have remembered to pack along some cutlery. 😛
There were evenings spent fly fishing by the light of the sunset.
And bonfires and marshmallows, of course.
And, probably most importantly, there were smokies roasted to charred perfection over the fire. And just to make sure that we weren't roughing it too much we slathered the buns in in this Spicy Tomato Ketchup and caramelized onions.
Which brings be back to those camping recipes I told you about. While I love roasting smokies I actually believe it is absolutely necessary to eat well when you're camping. I've listed a few links to some other camping recipes that are here on the blog as well as given you a few other ideas for easy, delicious eats.
If you make these Hot Dogs with Caramelized Onions or any camping recipes, make sure to snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create.
- 4 smokies (I love the cheese smokies)
- 4 hot dog buns
- Ketchup (or this spicy tomato ketchup)
- 2 onions, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- A pinch of salt
- Start by caramelizing the onions. Melt the butter in a medium sized pan over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the sugar and a pinch of salt, lower the heat to low and cook for 10 more minutes.
- While the onions are cooking start the smokies. Spear the smokies on your smokies roasting sticks. Hold them close to but not directly in the flames. Rotate them a quarter turn about every minute or so. They will take about 7-10 minutes to warm through. If you want them a little more charred on the outside hold them in the flame at the very end.
- Top your hot dog buns with caramelized onions and all the condiments you want. Pop on the smokie and dig in!
More camping recipes:
- Veggie Burgers (make these guys up at home before you go and then pop them in a pan over the fire for dinner)
- Prawns with Lemon Garlic Butter (make sure you eat these on your first night as the prawns don't last long)
- Smoky Parmesan Corn on the Cob (these are as easily prepared over the grill as they are in your oven at home)
- Pecan Crusted Salmon (pre-make the pecan mixture before you leave the house to make this extra simple to make at camp)
- Fish Tacos are always easy to make when camping. Serve them with some simple Chipotle Guacamole for a easy and healthy dinner.
- Curried Vegetable Stew with Quinoa (one pot dinners are the best when camping)
Some more camping recipe ideas:
- A big pot of chili is easy to make and perfect for camping. Here's an easy vegetarian chili recipe.
- Pasta can be easy too, especially if you bring the sauce from home or buy it from the store. Here's an awesome Tomato Cream Sauce that I've taken camping with me before.
- Fajitas are great. Just cook up a bunch of veggies in a pan and serve them with tortillas, sour cream, salsa and some grated cheese.