Mmm more cute little bite sized appetizers. I just can’t get enough of these!
I grew up on something my mom called ‘appetizer dinners.’ She would put out a bunch of delicious things on the living room table and my sister, myself and my mom would spend a few hours chatting and eating. It was tradition for as long as I can remember. Once we were teenagers we were sometimes allowed a glass of wine, but it was always about the company and the food.
I blame those dinners (in a great kind of way) on my love of long, leisurely dinners. I get stupidly excited by a table full of pretty little things I can slowly eat. Is that normal?
These mini steak salads wrapped in mini lettuce leaves may just be the perfect appetizer. Perfect … whoa, that’s a big claim! They’re full of crispy veggies, crunchy almonds, tender steak and drizzled in a slightly sweet honey mustard sauce.
They’re also completely versatile. You can swap the steak for chicken or fish, use any find of toasted nut you have on hand, add any veggies that are in your fridge and switch up the dipping sauce. They can be new every time you eat them. See, they’re perfect.
Make sure to follow The Endless Meal!
- 1 steak
- 12 small pieces of lettuce, kale or endive
- ½ carrot, grated
- 1 green onion, sliced into long strips
- ½ tomato, cut into ½" cubes
- 2 tablespoons parsley or cilantro
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated (preferably with a microplane)
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1-2 teaspoons honey
- Season steak on both sides with salt and pepper. Sear on high heat till it is as cooked as you like (I like medium rare, so about 4-5 minutes)
- Slice steak thinly into strips and set aside. Reserve any juice from the steak.
- Combine carrot, green onion, tomato, parsley or cilantro, lemon juice and garlic in a medium sized bowl. Add reserved steak juice and salt to taste. Toss with slivered almonds.
- In a small bowl, combine mustard and honey and mix to combine.
- To serve, lay lettuce leaves out on a platter, add a spoonful of salad and top with a slice of steak. Either drizzle the honey mustard sauce overtop or serve on the side as a dipping sauce.
Looking for more perfect handheld appetizers to serve at your next party? Check out: