Sandwiches deserve a little more press. I'm not talking about peanut butter and jam sandwiches (which I love), or cheddar cheese and tomato sandwiches (which I also love), but sandwiches that make you stop what you are doing and give them your full attention.
To help out the sandwich's lowly reputation, I've decided to feature it in a six part Sandwich Series. Like the title? That idea was mine and mine alone. I know I know, alliteration is cheesy, but this first sandwich needed a little cheese. Ok, that was really bad. I'll stop.
Inspired by Simone's comment on my Chipotle Sea Salt post about how she mixes chipotles in mayonnaise, I knew I had to whip up a batch. The bacon and caramelized onions seemed like the only logical things that belonged with chipotle aioli on a sandwich.
This is a messy, gooey, don't-ever-eat-on-a-first-date kind of sandwich. It is finger-licking, lip-smacking, I-don't-care-how-many-calories-are-in-here kind of good. It is rich from the bacon, sweet from the caramelized onions and spicy from the chipotles. I just finished eating the one here and when I looked down at my plate (actually I ate it right off the table where I photographed it) to see it was all finished, I felt a pang of sadness. I wanted more. Lots more.
- Two slices of bread per sandwich
- Bacon, cooked
- Caramelized onions, cooked in the leftover bacon fat (of course)
- Thinly sliced tomatoes
- Aioli with chopped chipotles in adobo sauce
- I’ve given no measurements on purpose, nor directions. I think everyone knows how to assemble a sandwich. If, for some reason I cannot possibly imagine, you do not, put all the ingredients between the two slices of bread. As for how much, I’ll let you decide; you know your tastes best. For my one sandwich, I used four slices of bacon, ½ an onion, a few slices of tomato, a handful of parsley and more chipotle aioli than I’ll ever admit to.
Want some more delicious sandwich recipes? Check out the complete Six Part Sandwich Series:
Latest posts by Kristen Stevens (see all)
- One Pan Lemony Greek Chicken with Potatoes and Asparagus - April 25, 2017
- Broccoli, Cauliflower, Blueberry Coleslaw - April 22, 2017
- Blog Income Report – March 2017 - April 20, 2017